1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Sporting vs Trap vs Parallel Target

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MarkW883, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkW883

MarkW883 TS Member

I'm in the market for my first shotgun to be used for trap. I used a Beretta AL391 Sporting in a trap lesson and liked it very much. Can somebody explain why there are differences in the stock between Beretta's Sporting, Trap Optima, and Parallel Target models? Is the Sporting model mainly marketed for skeet and sporting clays? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Beretta 391 sporting has a sloped straight comb (not monte carlo) and a 28" or 30" barrel with a flat rib. It is very popular as a Sporting Clays and Skeet Gun, but seldom used in trap. The stock is designed to facilitate shooting where the gun is raised from an unmounted position after calling for the target.

The 391 Trap has a monte carlo style stock with a sloped comb, though not as sloped as the sporting model; and the 28",30" or 32" barrel has a slight step near the base of the rib, which would make it shoot slightly higher with the same sight picture you would get with a flat rib. This model is no longer sold by Beretta.

The 391 Parallel stock is now the one sold for trap. The stock is a monte carlo
    style, and the comb is parallel to the barrel. Other than that, it is the same as the trap model. It can be used for sporting clays or skeet, but it is the preferred model for shooting trap.

Beretta models come as the 391 Urika Standard with an imitation X-tra wood; the Urika Gold, a fancier receiver and better, real wood; and the Teknys, a silver colored receiver with some plastic inserts, and other features, at a much higher price.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm a Beretta Auto owner. I bought an AL 391 Urika Trap Optima w/30" barrel (wish it was 32" but not an issue) back a few years ago. This gun is a back-up gun for me but, it's not like it's stored away, I do shoot it often. I can't say enough about it, low recoil, no cycling issues, Feather Lite to Super Hcp shells without issues, great fit, adjustable, (2) recoil pads, case, full complement of choke tubes.

I own an AL 391 Urika 2 Sporting w/ 30" barrel I use on S/C's and Skeet. I have no regrets buying it for how I'm using it. As satisfied as I am with the Optima Trap, that's all that was needeed to purchase the Sporting version. Gun came set-up the same way. Tubes, pads, shims, case (no prize).

Note, I have no idea what some of these guys stocks are made of but, I can asure you mine are a dark non-glossy satin almost an oil type of finish. Not Plywood, soft white pine or yellow pine with contact paper on them and sprayed with varnish. I hear some are now with an enhanced grain on them and if so mine must of missed that process. Though I'm satisfied with both butts and forends of my stocks they don't look like a fake $1000 custom. I believe the stock issues Beretta may have had are of the past.

The rumor that Beretta's are a nightmare to clean is not so either. They are no worse or better than any other gas gun. They are different than a Remington which is different than a Browning. No big deal. The gas ports and pressure valve doesn't need to be cleaned every 50, 100 or 200 rounds, you'll no when it needs to be done. I guess if you shoot crud ammo with crud powder you'll be checking more often but that senerio would be with any autoloader. There is alot of great Beretta shotgun maintenance info out there free and cheap at your fingertips.

I would go for it if I were you. The Parallel Target is a nice gun. It will be perfect for your trap game. This gun also will come set up with everything the other target autos do. You might find a used cherry Trap version if you are lucky. I wouldn't buy a hacked up version or something that looks like a hammer jockey took apart with kitchen tools. $800/825 - 950/1000 for a used one, Heck, I'd just buy new for $1100 and get (3) years warranty plus $200 or $300 promotional goods offer going on.

Good luck, you'll like it.

4. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

I have had all three. The Parallel Target is the only what to go.

5. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I would buy the 32 inch barrel with a parallel (to the rib) stock. This is an excellent shotgun for trap.

Tom Strunk

6. Dickgshot

There is a great deal on this forum right now.

Spanky: The stock and forend you have are the ones they have problems with. They were discontinued in favor of the X-tra grain they are using now. There are many slightly used 391 Urika models that still have the real wood stock and are a lot cheaper than a brand new Urika II.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'll have to post a picture somehow of both stocks. I don't have a stock with contact paper on it. Those stocks are refered to as Extra-Wood. The Sporting has Xtra-Grain stamped at the pistol grip. Nothing appears to be that enhanced if any. I'll post some pics. Anyway, I have to recommend an older Urika or a newer Urika 2.

8. Dickgshot

Spanky, Sorry, I misread the part that your stock was NOT the plywood etc.

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

the 391 par. target 30"- put the recoil reducer in the stock ( sold by beretta)- put in the green mod. choke . now- here is a gun you shoot and even hunt with--the best all around gun on the market. the sad part is that if you ask a beretta rep - you'll be hard pressed to get an answer!??? ps: it shoots 60/40 out of the box

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

acss, I agree 100%. This is how my Trap Optima shot right out of the box. It is not flat by any means and certainly does not shoot excessivly high. You will not have to loose site or cover over your target. I shoot the improved modified choke and it vaporizes target as long as I on them and doing my part. This is not my primary Trap gun but, it gets shot alot because of shoulder issues that creep up on me once and awhile. Low recoil, soft shooter doesn't break the bank.

11. MarkW883

MarkW883 TS Member

Sorry, I'm slow on the uptake regarding shotgun lingo. When you say a gun 'shoots 60/40' what does that mean?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 parallel stock

beretta 391 parallel target for skeet and trap
beretta 391 parallel target for trap

beretta 391 replacement stock

beretta parallel target

beretta parallel target poi

parallel target
trap stock vs sport stock