Trapshooters Forum banner

Beretta silver snipe questions

16K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RayReys 
#1 ·
Hi all-

Does anyone know of the design differences in beretta's early silver snipe and BL series shotguns compared to the 680 series? Also, would it be possible to put 686 barrels or wood on a silver snipe?

Been trying to find info online, but haven't seen too much

#2 ·
The silver snip o/u has an automatic safety and do not have ejectors. They have extractors that lift the empty out of the chamber and then they have to be pulled out the rets of the way. 680 series barrels will not interchange I don't believe. Wood I am not sure about.

#3 ·
BL series can't use 680 barrels, but the S55, S56, 57, & 58 will.

Those gunes were somewhat short lived, spanning from the Garcia era to the 680's.

I had an S57E that could swap with my BL-4. Mind you, this is not a universal truth, in some cases fitting is required.

HM

#4 ·
The BL series is the same as the S-55 thru S-58, with some minor differences. Basically when it was made and mainly who the importer was determines the labeling.

680 barrels will fit on BL4, BL5 , BL6 - same as S56, S57, S58. The fore-end iron must be proper to the receiver, as the cocking levers are on the flats on the BL / S series guns, sidewall on 680s.

BL-4 on up or S56 up barrels can be made to fit 680 receivers with some careful filing aft of the trunnion pockets.

BL3 on down and S55 had extractors so no trip in the fore-end iron, no way for ejectors to fire. No cuts in the action wall for primary extraction lugs. Grind the lugs off? Otherwise,forget it.

680 wood is different, buttstock maybe, the fore-end very much different so - forget it too.

The "silver snipe" label was used on several variants and models of guns, basically economy grade version of the standard. Swapping parts may be possible, depending on what's actually "in hand".

Some "fitting" is almost always needed for proper function.

Regards, GAP

#6 ·
Not as much fitting as one would think. Beretta basically moved the cocking rods to the corners of the frame on the 680, the left the inside of the frame rounded for more strength.

The monobloc is already round, the same on contour on both guns, but the BL/S monobloc needs the contour continued about an eighth of an inch just behind the lower edge of the trunnion pockets. This is because the BL/S had a square profile to the receiver floor, with the cocking rods flat on the floor of the frame. The 680 series is just an improved BL/S; even the ejectors and springs can be swapped between them.

The S-58 trap had some very nice lightweight boehler antinit fixed-choke barrels, and adding them to the heavier 680 frame makes a nice improvement in balance.

Browning barrels are completely different. However, it is possible to fit K80 barrels onto a Remington 32, just by changing to the proper trunnion pins.

Those old Berettas can be bought very reasonably, but to make a full target gun from a field gun may be cost prohibitive.

You're welcome, GAP

#7 ·
Interesting - thanks again GAP -

it was a 30" F/M plain barrel 1961 gun for 600 bucks; was thinking if I bought it I could a) send it to Simmons for a rib and find a suitable 680 series buttstock to have as a loaner/backup trap gun, or b) get a set of used mobil choked 680 series barrels and make a fun skeet/sporting gun out of it -

I think it's still for sale, but I have a tentative bead on another Model 12, so I think I'll pass :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.