1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta silver coating Flaking off- see ADDED PICS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aussie Dan, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

We have a few cheaper berettas (silver pigeons and SV10 prevails) in out club that have had the silver coating falling off in a very short time since new.

But now there are a few reports that some new DT11's and DT 10's are doing it too. The below pics was a DT 10 bought new and hardly used, $$$ gun.

Usually starts around the firing pin hole on the action and chips off behind the shell head.

Have you guys had any issues with this? There are reports here that Beretta are trying to blame shell manufacture pressures.
    aussiedan_2011_0612.jpg

aussiedan_2011_06121.jpg

aussiedan_2011_06122.jpg

2. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

Dan,

That seems to be a common problem with a plated breech face. I had that same problem on a 687 SP II and a Caesar Guerini Tinaloy finish. Not sure if it is a big problem unless it migrates to the edge and starts flaking off on the show surfaces.

Scott

3. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I have a silver finished DT and a bunch of Beretta coin finished receivers. They have seen tens of thousands of steel hulled cases and reloads with primers like Fio 616s.

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary as far as excessive wear on the breech face. This thread is the first I'm hearing about it, too.

You guys got any pictures you can post? Did anyone actually send their gun back to Maryland for warranty / inspection?

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My son and I each own 687 Silver Pigeon II combos (you know, those "cheaper Berettas"). One is five years old and the other is eight years old; neither demonstrate anything like was described.

Ed

5. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Added a few pics of the DT 10 flaking off.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

averaged_2008_0303460.jpg

The oldest of our two 687s after a good cleaning about a year ago.

Ed

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I'm willing to bet that bottom barrel gets fired more than the top and is piercing primers.

FWIW, I've seen rental 687s in Argentina with over 150K rounds on them that did not exhibit that kind of wear.

8. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. Ed yours looks like its brand new!
    Pierced primers huh? Maybe the firing pins are a bit long?

9. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

The DT 10 pictured never once had a pierced primer!

10. us820

us820 Active Member

I have one of those "cheapo" Silver Pigeons going on 20 years old and 100,000 rounds.Like new still.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, which model DT10 is your gun? I wasn't aware they did a plated finish in any of them...I thought the trap was blued and the sporting and skeet had a titanium nitride? I'd be upset too with that much money invested in a fine gun only to have the factory finish be substandard...I had a Gold E and have a Gold X Greystone with nitride and its the toughest stuff out there IMHO

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The silver pigeons are nickel plated, and the plating on some are not too good.

There is always a small risk of the plating coming loose around the firing pin holes on most plated guns...Beretta, Perazzi, Krieghoffs, Kolars, even the guns I have plated (2 out of 500+ guns). The constant hammering on the breech face takes its toll.

I like Krieghoff's approach to repairing...just polish and blend the plating on the breech face. It will not allow things to get any worse, and its done in such a way to be near impoosible to see.

If the plating is letting loose on the outside of the gun, then its just a bad plating job.

Doug

13. Shaker

Shaker Member

Bought a used Al 391 Teknys sporting in 20 from gander mt. and it started flaking like the 12 above. I had purchased the $30 guarantee from gander and Beretta replaced the gun with a brand new one as they said they couldn't fix the flaking (I don't know that to be true, but that's what they said). Best deal ever as the one I orginally bought didn't have a case or extra chokes. Check your warantee and hold them accountable.

14. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

So would it be fair to say, in your opinions based on the posts made on this thread, that it cannot be proven by Beretta that a particular brand of ammunition causes this to happen?

15. Borderland

Borderland Member

Talk to the people at Joel Etchen, they are aware of this problem with their 687 Silver Pigeon.

16. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

My 687 Sporting does it but the 682 with 34,000 rds has not

Haven't followed up as it is only cosmetic, so far

17. TD1958

TD1958 Member

I have a 682 gold e combo that the finish is coming off and when I mentioned on this sight the last time all I got was it was probably the way I clean the gun. I magine that a big company took short cuts in the metal processing and everyone thinks it's their fault. I'm willing to lay odds beretta won't own up or stand behind any on it. Just Say'n!!!

18. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Joel Etcheon thinks it might be an underlying issue with how the receivers are milled and prepared before the Plating.

Still no one has blamed the cartridges!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta dt20 action face flaling
beretta face flaking

beretta silver coating flaking off

coin finished berettas
teknys flaking