1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Semi-automatic trap guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have been thinking of looking into a semi-automatic trap gun! I shoot both 7/8 & 1 ounce loads in the 1200 fps range, and I shoot some ATA targets each years. Which Beretta semi is set-up for Trap? Any issues with them? Thanks, bruce

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

391 parallel target w/ 30" optima barrel--BUT-if you want to join a very large group of beretta diehards--buy an older 303 model 30in, there is just something about that mid80's model that has a great feel and balance---you wont be disappointed---welcome to call me , i probably have one to sell-- i speciallize in these autoloaders---wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

3. JenVern

JenVern TS Member

I have shot over 75000 rounds trough one and sold it to a young shooter that has shot it for last four years no problems I would buy the devault elite very nice trap gun for the money. Vern

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

DeVault Elite.....is a new model by Dennis??

5. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Wally, thanks for tip on the 303. I am pondering a Beretta semi-automatic, and am real interested in peoples consturctive input. If I can get a good fit, and if the recoil seems to be significantly less, I make take the plunge...a friend of mine has fitted a Precision Fit Stock to his!!

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I won't try to convince you that the auto is the only answer but if you are looking for the minimum amount of recoil they are your answer. The best autos Beretta has made to date is the 303 and 390 series. Parts are still readily available for both but longer barrels are getting harder and harder to find that are not butchered up. Recoil makes shooting less and less fun the older you get and the more you shoot. Don't buy the reliability crap or fall into the price of the gun BS.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The 303's and 390's were good guns, but so is the 391, and new and like new models are more available. I've had my 391 for 6 years, I don't know how many
    tens of thousands of rounds, and it works flawlessly.

A Urika or Teknys parallel target with an adjustable comb should be just fine. I see them for sale here for $800 to $1,000. You can spend more money for a Moneymaker or Devault adjustable rib, adjustable butt plate, fancier wood, etc. etc.

8. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I have a 390ST with 32" fixed full Trap barrel with the higher factory rib and non Monte Carlo stock that my 13 year old son has shot about 5,000 rounds through this year without any problems or issues. He's big for his age and the stock fits him now, but I can foresee the need to raise the comb as he continues to grow. Incidentally, 391 butt stocks will fit the 390. When we’re ready to replace the stock we’ll most likely look for a 391 trap stock.

Our practice loads (the majority of the 5,000 rounds) are 7/8" 1,150fps. These loads are fine for singles trap, but will not cycle for doubles. Recoil is very light with this load. 3 Dram Eq. loads cycle just fine for doubles, or you can order a stiffer spring from Coles that will improve your chance of cycling light loads for doubles.

My son also uses this same gun with a 28” fixed Super Skeet barrel with the higher factory rib for skeet. The gun shoots great with 3 dram loads.

Brad

9. fortycaliberglock

fortycaliberglock Member

I shoot a 390 Silver Mallard that I paid all of $575 to purchase. I use it regularly for trap, skeet, clays, pheasant, ducks, chukkars. It is the softest shooting, most reliable shotgun I've owned. I've spent a lot more, and will likely continue to, on O/U's but none break more clays for me than the 390. Hmmm...anyone want to by an MX8 and 3200? Just kidding, I love them all but for the money, the 390 is an excellent gun.

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you want an automatic that actually wins at trap you need a Remington 1100, the choice of champion ATA trap shooters. If you want a sporting clays gun go with the Beretta.

11. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

How about the new Remington 1100?? I have a friend with at least 50000 skeet round thru an older 1100. I have read about the new one with Rucker recoil and a West Stock!

12. Brad Korando

Brad Korando Member

I also have a Remington 1187 Nickel receiver Sporting Clays with a 30" Target Contour barrel and adjustable comb stock that my 12 year old son has shot about 5,000 rounds through this year as well.

I also have an 1100 that is not used for trap, but find that the design and components share a lot with the 1187. Our experience has been that the 390 has been more reliable than the 1187. The 1187 needed two minor repairs 1) a replacement firing pin spring and bolt buffer 2) a replacement forend support. These repairs were easy to make and the parts were inexpensive.

I’ve shot thousands of rounds through each gun myself and like them both. I think that the quality of build and materials is better on the 390. I’m not saying that the 1187 is not a good gun; in fact I think that it is a good gun. I just don’t think that its quality equals the 390. That said there is something to be said for the availability of parts for the 1100/1187.
    We clean our guns about every 300-400 rounds and have not had any trouble with the function of either the 390 or the 1187. I find that the 1187 is easier and takes less time to clean than the 390.

I probably shoot the 1187 better than the 390, but I attribute that to fit. The 1187 just feels better to me. Keep in mind though that my 1187 has an adjustable comb whereas my 390 does not. In my opinion, the recoil feels about the same.

Both guns in the hands of my boys do quite well in competition. They’ve piled up a good number of wins and medals this year in SCTP shooting four disciplines with these guns.

Brad

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I own and shoot 1100's, model 58's, 303's and 391's and I prefer a 391 with a 303 or 390 trigger. The reason being is that the 391 will handle a wider variety of loads (the 303 has no system to vent excess gas) and the 303 and 390 triggers have a cast housing that takes a trigger job much better than the 391's plastic housing (3901 also has a plastic housing). The 391 (as does the 390 and 3901) has a shim system where you can change the cast/drop by changing shims and washers. This is important.

This is about the only area where BAD 303 and myself don't quite see eye to eye on, but to each his own I guess =)

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Tron.......thanks for the input on the Beretta 391. I have wanted one of these for some time, and may proceed in that direction. In addition, due you sell and/or install the PFS stock system or an equal? I own and shoot a Perazzi MX-15. Thanks, Bruce from NH

15. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I feel that if you put a mercury reducer in the milled hole behind the stock washer and fit the gun, put a good pad like a Gooey on, there is no need what_so_ever for any type of recoil obsorber. But, if you must, I like the Gracoils the best for a 391.

16. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

The stock Beretta mercury recoil reducer works wonders in a 391. No need for the gooey pad - but certainly doesn't hurt. Nice that the stock comes pre-drilled.

Joe

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I shot thousands of rounds out of a trap 391. Nice gun I just got tired of cleaning it.

I went to a hing gun for simplicity and more reliable for second shot on doubles.

18. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Joe there are a few things to like about the 391 but there are more reasons to like the 390. It has everything you like including the metal trigger housing. And it has a much easier to clean gas system. And the biggest reason i like the 303's is because of the way they feel and balance. The stocks fit me better and they are bulletproof. Never said the 391's aren't outstanding guns just that i and many other prefer the predecessors better. Now the new xplor 400, we shall see. I really can't say we don't see eye to eye. I just think your allergies to cat hair has you confused.

19. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I have the new A400 and love it. I bought the field version and with the shims you can get it shooting right where you look. I shoot a Krieghoff otherwise but love this Beretta. I shot the winter league with it and had decent scores. When I bought mine, about a year ago, they did not have the fancy blue Sporting Clay one. I want to try one of those as I really do not need the 3.5 inch chamber. It is a great duck gun too! I think it is a good gun, for a dedicated trap gun you would have to work with the shims, etc. but hey tinkering is half the fun.

Courtney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 3200 semie

beretta automatic trap guns

beretta semi auto trap
beretta semi auto trap gun
beretta semi-automatic trap guns
berrettatrapautomatic
new beretta auto trap gun
new beretta semi auto trap guns