1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Beretta S686 Special Field Info

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senorric, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senorric

senorric Member

Recently purchased this 12ga O/U but can't find ANY info on the field model (narrow rib), only the sporting version(wide rib). Believe it was mfgd in 1992. Any info on original price, reviews, options, etc. would be much appreciated. Thanks --- Rich
  2. senorric

senorric Member

Up for info ---
  3. senorric

senorric Member

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Active Member

I have one in 20 gauge with an english stock. Great gun for upland game. I bought it used 10 years ago. Here is a link to date the barrel. Bill Malcolm
  5. senorric

senorric Member

I confirmed it was made in 1992. That's all I know about it. Anyone also have one and what it retailed for new? Comments about theirs? Etc. Thanks -
  6. usmackem

usmackem Member

I bought one about 1 year ago -sounds exactly like yours.I have not found much info on it either .Mine has an L engraved on the trigger guard.It is light in weight so I believe thats what the L means. I know some s686 models say sporting on the barrel but not mine.It is nicely engraved with decent wood. Some have told me it is a field model because it had an auto safety which Ihad altered to manual for target clay shooting. Brent
  7. usmackem

usmackem Member

I looked up the code on the bottom of the barrels and mine was made in 1992 also. I like the gun very much. It is balanced nicely for me without much forend weght.I can move it quickly for some of those sporting targets that don't give you much time. Brent
  8. senorric

senorric Member

Thanks guys. Mine does not have the "L" on the trigger guard. Trigger guard is totally black with none of the nickel finish. Nickel receiver has the extensive engraving. 26 1/2" 12 ga. barrels have a BB on them so I assumed it was mfgd in 1992. Beretta must have made a bunch of these in 1992. Has a pistol grip and weighs about 7 lbs 5 ozs. Original owner said he bought it new for about $1600 which seemed a little high to me. Can't give an educated reason for saying that, just my guess. Regardless, it's a great shooter. Thanks again for taking the time to provide me your info/thoughts. ------
    Rich
  9. senorric

senorric Member

Can anyone else help me out? Thanks for looking --- Rich
  10. usmackem

usmackem Member

Rich, My gun with the L on it & 28" barrels plus extended chokes weighs in at 7 lbs. 3 ozs. I also made a stepped wood rib about 3/8 tall I added to experiment with shooting more heads up.It is included in the weight also. Brent
  11. senorric

senorric Member

Anyone know what the S686 Special field model sold for new? Any other info. available? Thanks ---- Rich
  12. senorric

senorric Member

Up for more info!!!
  13. WJN

WJN TS Member

This is a S686 made in 1993. It doesn't have an L on the trigger guard and has 30" barrels. Only gun I have hit 25 straight with to date.

Jim

wjn_2012_12026.jpg

wjn_2012_12027.jpg

wjn_2012_12028.jpg

wjn_2012_12029.jpg
  14. senorric

senorric Member

Yup, it's a beauty! Mine's identical but has a fully black trigger guard that extends into the receiver. The screw is also different being also black and has a torx head on it. Yours are both silver/nickel in color with a slotted screw and engraved. I assume mine is some type of variation. It's one of the reasons I'm asking for info on this Beretta model. Receiver scrolling/engraving is identical on both of ours as is the model marking. It's the fully black trigger guard that seems odd to me. Thanks for your photos --- Rich
  15. WJN

WJN TS Member

My trigger guard is black also. Not a great picture of the guard.

wjn_2012_120210.jpg
  16. senorric

senorric Member

WJN,
    I guess I should have said the piece the trigger guard is attached to which also has the screw. In your photo above, it's silver/nickel as is the top of the screw. Both of these parts are black on mine. Have yet to find a photo showing one like mine. All I've ever seen are like yours. Strange? Thanks ---- Rich
  17. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

Wonderful gun I have a 30 inch o/u for doubles very happy with the quality for the price hard to beat. I have 1500.00 in mine but the cost for double release triggers drove the price up there but I have no regrets mine is Mod/Full
  18. senorric

senorric Member

Thanks for tha additional info ---
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.