1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Recoil Reducer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mark V, Nov 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark V

Mark V Member

Which way does the instock reducer go? Blue tapered end towards muzzle or butt?

2. Mark V

Mark V Member

Thanks

3. mono1393

mono1393 Member

So, which way does it go?

4. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Now I remember, butt, butt, butt.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Every one I've ever seen is marked accordingly.

Ed

6. Mark V

Mark V Member

The unit I purchased had no orientation markings. It was somewhat obvious thou after using it I had it in backwards; there was no obvious sound that the weight was moving.

7. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

You will probably find that you won't notice much of a difference either way you put it. All the ones that I have tried never helped the recoil but did change the balance of the gun.

8. Mark V

Mark V Member

Several years ago I shoot a Tecknys with a reducer in the stock and the noise from the reducer was noticeable. I'd say the reducer weights about 8 oz.; the weight alone may be the major contributor to recoil reduction. I should have an opportunity to shoot the gun tomorrow to see if there is any difference.

9. AveragEd

If the reducer to which you are referring is a blue and orange device that resembles a slightly oversized Dead Mule and works the same way - via a spring-loaded counterweight - I have them in several guns and have a new one still in the box. They work quite well; in fact, owners of Beretta 68x guns who have shot my 687 SPII have never failed to remark about how soft my gun shoots compared to theirs.

It certainly should matter what the unit's direction of orientation is as when installed backwards, the unit cannot function. The muzzle end of it is marked "MUZZLE" with an arrow pointing toward that end of the unit. This device comes standard in a couple of 391 target models and can, with some minor modification, be fitted into a 68x stock as well as many other guns.

Ed

10. AveragEd

Here is a photo I took for an article on recoil reduction. The Beretta reducer I'm referring to is shown in its packaging.

Ed

[​IMG]

11. mono1393

mono1393 Member

Hi Ed,

Beretta must have taken the directions off of my recoil reducer, because it does not indicate anywhere which direction it goes. Does the blue cap on the end go towards the butt or the muzzle? Please help.

12. AveragEd

If you look closely at the above photo, you can see the word "MUZZLE" in red around the upper end of the unit. I don't know where I got the idea that the unit was blue and orange - sorry for the senior memory moment...

To allow the unit to more easily be fit into 68x stocks, I remove and discard the plastic cap at the lower end and shorten the extension on the removeable metal spring container inside that cap. I cut it off where the taper stops and the straight section begins. When the plastic cap is removed, that spot becomes obvious.

Ed

13. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

AverageEd....I can not see the red "muzzle" in your picture....does the plastic cap go toward the but or the muzzle??

my unit has no directions either.

tony

14. AveragEd

As stated, the red words "MUZZLE" are around the UPPER end of the unit in the photo, so the plastic cap goes toward the butt of the stock.

Ed

15. Mark V

Mark V Member

Ed,

thanks for clearing this up for us; the blue plastic cap points towards the butt; there is a good photo of this item on Cole's website. After properly installing the unit, I can hear the weight moving against the spring.

16. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

thanks ED....I actually called Beretta when I received mine and they told me it goes the other way......will shoot later tonight to see the difference.

tony

17. AveragEd

Here's how to tell for dead certain. One end has a round disc (the weight) that moves against spring pressure when you push on it. That's the front or muzzle end. If you remove the cap on the other end and unscrew the silver plug with a long tapered end on it, you will be dissembling the unit (which is never required).

Installing the unit backwards will actually increase recoil as the weight will move forward whe the gun moves back into your shoulder only to be propelled back into your shoulder by its spring. You want the opposite to happen - the weight to move back when the gun hits your shoulder and be propelled forward against the front of the unit, taking some of the felt recoil away from your shoulder.

Those things really work.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

686 recoil reducer

beretta 390 recoil reducer

beretta recoil reducer cut

do beretta fore end recoil reducers work