1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by deadeye45, Mar 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Could some one enlighten me as to the change brought by the 391 Urika II series. I had a Teknys 391 gold optima. It was a good gun save the adjustable comb was a littel tinny and the stock acents fell out pretty regular. I got pretty good service from the factory. Seems Beretta has a little receipe change every now and again. Just trying to keep up.
    thanks,
    deadeye45

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Join the club! Beretta has done a marvelous job at confusing the shooting world with all of their incarnations of the 391 model. Take the 391 Xtrema for instance. It is a TOTALLY differnt gun and almost NO parts interchange with a 391.

Anyway, the only real difference in the Urika 2 is the piston. It's a slightly different design and is interchangable in any other 391.

3. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Hi TRON,
    Seems there is at least one other subtlety, the receiver has a Urika II stamped in it. So essentially the piston, and Urika 11 nomenclature? What is the new style piston supposed to improve on?
    thanks for your reply,
    deadeye45

4. Tron

The new piston has the stress relief cuts in it, just like the Beretta auto's that were pre-391. The piston is also supposed to be cleaner operating and less carbon build up in the cylinder....more "self cleaning" than the previous design.

OH, and the Urika 2 has that Xtra-grain wood. Some like it and some find it repulsive.

5. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

I've got a AL 2 laying around here I'll have to take a look to inspect the stress relief cuts. Is the EXTRA GRAIN WOOD, actually wood?
    Thanks again

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have a 391 Urika Trap Optima and a Urika 2 Sporting Optima. These gun will take a pounding and I have had no issues with them. I would recommend one. Being an owner of both piston styles I do not find one to be much cleaner than the other. I never ran one until it ran out of gas but have been going as high as 1000 rounds before cleaning. I was cleaning much more regularly than that but it is not necessary.

I have some gripes with Beretta as far as calling and getting through and in-touch with Beretta for CS questions and tech support questions but if something breaks as far as a part or an accessory part item they have sent it to me and I installed it, at get the item in a day or two. My issues were small but they were resolved immediatly when I can get through.

7. Tron

Yes it's actually wood. Just a low grade walnut that's been laser treated. The new grain isn't just on the surface, it's all the way into the wood.

I agree with Spanky, the new piston design is no better than the old. I use the Angleport "unbreakable" piston and have gone a gazillion rounds without issue. I may clean my gun every 2500 rounds if it's lucky.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.