1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Question ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rad 53, Dec 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rad 53

rad 53 Member

There have been some threads recently regarding problems with the Beretta 391. Was the 390 a better gun? Were there any problems with the 390? What are the main differences between the two aside from the frame profile? What is the difference between a 390 and a 390 ST ? I have been thinking about getting a 20 gauge 390 [ I like the humpback frame profile ] so any input from the Beretta experts to further my knowledge would be much appreciated. Happy new year to you all, regards, Donald.

2. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I fixed my problem simply by spraying the slide rail with some CLR before I shoot it and it cycles great! I also have seen alot of negatives on this subjet but I did'nt take the time to quiz the people that got fed up with this problem and sold the gun!Tron is the GURU on this site on beretta shotguns.

Remember to shoot the gun wet. Meaning lube the rail prior to a match.

3. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I have a 390 & used to shoot sporting clays with a guy that shot a 391. The most noticeable difference was in the gas bleed off system up front. Supposedly, the newer system in the 391 required less frequent cleaning. The 391 is also a lighter gun, closer to a 303 than a 390 in wt. The only problems I have had with my 390 are the ones that seem to be typical to all the Beretta autos, hammer braces & connecting rods breaking. This doesn't happen that often & is easy to fix. My gun is a 390ST "Sport" & has a sloping receiver like an 1100. The very early guns had a squared off looking receiver & they may have been designated just 390, not sure on that one. I think they're all good guns. You don't see that many 390's around much anymore so finding one in 20 ga. may not be easy. John

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i dont understand why- but the "humpback" 390's never held their value! most all the parts interchange. the 390 had a bigger forearm and lost that sleek feeling. yes the 391 brot back the 303 era of less weight and slimmer gun? if you are set on a humpback- watch gunbroker for a 20 ga DU gun. there seems to be alot of them around - great wood and medium px-$550 or less? there was an al2 20 ga on there a few weeks ago- same gun but older & heck of a bargin!! PS: a browning B80 is the same exact gun as a humpback 390

5. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Humpback 390's are I believe, field guns= thinner stock and thinner rib.....GOOD LUCK

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i never got the thinner rib thing? and what a wider stock did for the beretta's??? was the POI then differant? the barrels of each , look to me as having the same taper from back to front! hey rad53--i know we always get too technical on the forum!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.