1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Francis Marion, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has a 682 X combo. Nice gun, opens a little loose, but closes tight. His concern is the lever sits left of center when locked up. He did a beautiful job refinishing the stock and may want to sell and upgrade. Is the lever issue simple worn out drop in parts,major surgery, or no concern. If it is replacement parts, I can handle it. Anything more serious, he can make a decision. Any info is appreciated. If Doug( Gun Dr.) responds, please move along to another thread. Thank you. ha ha

2. Paper Skeet

Paper Skeet Member

Locking lugs need to be replaced. This is standard maintenence on 680 series guns. It's about $140 job by Beretta service. If you know what size to buy, you could do it yourself. The lugs start at the smallest size and wear the holes in the barrel where they fit, larger over time. The lever moves slowly to the left as this happens. You replace the lugs with the next larger size and the holes in the barrel continue to wear. Lugs are replaced up to four times, then the barrel is drilled out and new fittings are placed to replace the holes and the cycle of replacing the lugs starts again.

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

wow shewwwww I was wondering the same about my JEG special! Thanks for info

Jerry Lewis

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Steve,

As mentioned above, the gun needs to have the locking bolt replaced with the next size up. I'm guessing the bolt in the gun was the factory original. You can get this part from Cole's and also take a look at the schematic to get an idea of what you are in for.

I have replaced this part in both of my 682x guns and I am by no means a gifted gunsmith. More like a guy with a typical set of hand tools and above average mechanical skills. The job takes me about an hour but that includes replacing hammer and firing pin springs. (may as well do some PM while you got it torn down). There is no machining or metal removal required on this job.

I don't know what your skill set is like but if you have a bit of patience and use good light and don't force things I'll bet you can do this work yourself. The first time through is a bit intimidating so use a digital camera during the tear down so you will have some reference during reassembly.

5. Francis Marion

Wolfram,
    I appreciate all the info. I am a tool and die maker, and do quite a bit of gun work, so it shouldn't be a problem. Thank you again.
    Steve

6. Francis Marion

Wolfram,
    I tried to google Cole's, nothing came up. I never heard of them. Maybe a little more help?

7. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

colegun.com

8. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

you can buy parts from Brownells.

9. rad 53

rad 53 Member

OK, so now we have the locking bolts sorted out, what about the screw on barrel side shoulders that a lot of beretta's have? I have personally inspected two 682 Gole E trap guns[new] where these replaceable side shoulders DON'T even touch the mating curve on the frame.I always believed these parts were true bearing surfaces. They certainly are on an SO4 and an SO5 I have.What is the point of having these replaceable shoulders if they don't touch and form a true bearing surface. Your thoughts and opinions regarding this would be appreciated. Regards from down under, Donald.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.