1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jimmyc, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

I just bought a 686 sp trap on this forum. I've had it about 3wks now. I have been loading two shells (skeet/5stand) shooting the bottom barrel first. It fails to fire the top barrell about 1 in 100 rounds. The hammer will drop (you can hear it) but there is no mark on the primer. You can load two more and it will shoot and may not do it again for the whole day. The botttom barrel always fires. Any thoughts?
    Jimmy

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

You may need to covert the triggers from inertia to mechanical. Approx. cost is $125.00.

Light loads on the 1st shot probably do not set the 2nd trigger.

Curt

3. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Curt, the trigger is resetting because the hammers are both dropping. I'm leaning towards the firing pin being stuck for some reason. The gun feels like it should have fired but the shell won't go off.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

maybe a broken firing pin and the broken parts rotate slightly or just gunk in the firing pin hole

all conjecture

try cleaning the firing pin hole from the outside and then spray brake cleaner in it

take stock off and completely spray inside of action

if that doesnt work- send it to a gunsmith

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

Gene, I'll try that. Did it once and the problem seemed to stop, but it started again.
    Jimmy

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

check your PM's

7. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Jimmy,

I've got a 686 combo set and what was happening to me was the top barrel was failing to go off when I pulled the trigger (which is probably a precursor to not firing at all like yours). The gun would go off as I was starting to lower the gun from my shoulder.

This is scary and I wanted to get it fixed, so I ordered an entire set of new springs from Jim Flynn and I also got new hammer springs for both the upper and lower hammers. It took me quite a while to figure out how to take the gun apart, but once I got all the springs replaced the gun has not done this again. And I've fired it probably 300 times since replacing the springs.

I suggest you take the buttstock off the gun and soak the receiver in mineral spirits. Yes, mineral spirits, the stuff you use to soak your paint brushes in. This stuff works great to get all the gunk out of the receiver area and firing pins as well. It has just enough oil in it to lubricate the moving parts and all you really need to do it blow it off after soaking it for at least an hour.
    My receiver looked fairly clean when I first put it in the mineral spirits, but after an hour of soaking in the bucket of spirits the liquid was black with residue. If that doesn't work, then you should probably go see a gunsmith.

Worked for me!

Kevin

8. skeezix

skeezix Member

Couple things to check - Cock the gun (i.e. open and close the action) and then take the bbl off. Then look at the bottom of the receiver where the bbl sits. There are two pins that lay in along the bottom of the reciever that are the cocking arms - they should be lightly spring loaded - i.e. you should be able to push them in a bit (say 3/16") and they will spring back out. If one of them doesn't then that cocking lever is fouled - this can lead to what you're seeing.

The firing pins are backed by a spring - these could be fouled or broken as well.

This is a parts diagram, the firing pin springs are part no. 42. the cocking levers are part no 49. there is a small spring (part no. 45) that controls each of these these via the cocking levers. Sometimes they break or get hung up on a burr and cause issues similar to what you are seeing.

http://www.berettaservices.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=268

John

9. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I have a 686 that does that sometimes. The springs and firing pins have been replaced several times by several people and it would work for a while. I finally figured out that for some reason the top firing pin builds up gunk. Now when it fails to fire I take the stock and barrel off. Point the receiver down. Squirt rem-oil down the firing pin hole and use a flat blade screwdriver to push the firing pin down over and over. Squirt in more oil and use screwdriver again. Use oil and screwdiver until oil is clean. Usually once a year keeps it firing. Larry

10. abcd

abcd Member

Had one like this is my shop recently,There is a very small spring that holds the cocking pauls forward ,if this spring is broken the hammers are trying to push lets say all that junk, forward - pauls, cocking rods ..replace that spring and your problems go away ,Since the hammer fall is short it needs all the interia it can get .After reolacing firing pins, springs and all other parts I still had that 1-2 out of 25 that would not fire , replace the rebound springs .Good luck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 fails to fire bottom barrel after round of trap