1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta or Browning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrw17, Feb 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrw17

jrw17 Member

I am looking at either a 682 Gold E Trap Top single combo or a Browning Citori XT top single combo. I did own a Citori for awhile and I did shoot it well but I sold it. Now I am looking between the two but I am wondering if the Beretta shoots high or flat. If anyone knows what the POI is that would be great. Any other help would be good, I am getting tired of going through guns and it is messing with my head so I need to pick one and stick with it but want to make the best decision possible. Unfortunately I have not shot and do not know anyone with a Beretta so it is difficult to compare. Any help would be great.

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Jeff, both shotguns you list are very good and will last you a lifetime if taken care of. They do have fairly different stocks. I have found most shooters like one or the other, and not both. You need to go to a gun shop that has both and try them out yourself. Try mounting both guns with your eyes closed,looking into a mirror at one point you pick in mirror (place tape something). After you mount gun into a comfortable place on shoulder and face open your eyes and see how you are looking down the barrel. Do this to both types of guns you want, many times. This will answer your question. You want of be looking perfectly down the barrel. The big Trap shoots like the Grand and maybe some others will have vendors there that will have both in stock for you to check, or get a Browning and Beretta catalog, find guns with the same stock dimentions as the combo's in both and try mounting those model guns nearer to where you live. Only you can tell which one fits better out of the box. Then you can add the adj. comb and adj. butt plate if needed. A high end shop with a gun fitter there might be a added bonus as well. Hope this helps you out and Good Luck. Break-em all. Jeff

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned them both and both are a good gun but my money goes to the Beretta as far as quality and fit and finish. I would call Joel Etchens and get one of there 687 top singles and on you go. I never had to use either CS but I have herd they both suck. My friend had to send his XT into Browning and it took him 6 months to get it back. In my eyes that does not cut it. I would annie up another $2000 and get me a CG and not have to deal with the bad CS.

4. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Jeff, I agree with both Jeff & Goose. Last winter I was looking for a bottom single combo gun in the less than $5000.00 range. I went to Omaha to G/U and looked at Brownings and SKB's and then east to Etchens in Penn and Jaquas in Ohio to look at Beretta's and anything else. I was not going to buy anything until I had my hands on it. You just have to see what feels the best. For me, it was the Beretta. I would recommend a road trip to one of the big, multi-line dealers to get your hands on some different iron. You'll know when you've got a winner. MAC

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Goose, If you think Brownings customer's service is bad! Try Beretta's!!! Before Palm Beach Trap and Skeet closed, nobody would buy a Beretta there anymore. It seems a high end shooter there bought one that had two different POI in the two (O/U) barrels. So sent it back to them 7-9 months later it came back the same. They told him even though the one barrel shot 9-10 inchs to the left it was within their spects and would not fix it. I've heard this from a couple of other shooters on this site as well. A Close friend of mine bought a brand new UGB-25 auto, the set screws on the adj. stock and the adj. comb were so tight that he buggered out the inside of one screw in the stock and had to send it back to them to remove the screw and install a new one. It took over a month and many phone calls to get it back in that time frame. So bottom line is if you want good customer service in a combo under $4,000 or so it could only be from SKB. Its just to bad that there guns do not hold there value as well as the other two!!! Bottom line is a good fitting gun will break more targets for you, and is more important than its looks or its reputation to a certain degree anyway. Good Luck there Jeff and Break-em all. Jeff

6. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

I agree browning is a better gun and you always can find someone to fix it...

7. spritc

spritc Active Member

jrw, I am 6'2" and 210 lbs. I have owned two Beretta 682 Gold Es in the past, because I didn't learn my lesson the first time. They both beat the living crap out of me. I installed a Graco LOP adjustable recoil unit on the last one after cutting 1" off the stock. It was tolerable to shoor thereafter. I have owned seveal XTs and can pretty much shoot them out of the box, but I usually install a pad adjuster to achieve additional LOP. If you're close to my size, you may want a Browning over a Beretta, but your mileage may vary.

8. 682LINY

682LINY Member

my beretta fits and dont kik,,,was sent in 2 times for work,,,back in less than two week both times,,,,I know a dealer in NY with a few top single combo's for a good price around $ 3000,, do a web search for British Sporting Arms ,,, Its near Orvis's Place and near Safari Outfitters both in NY

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have had both the Beretta and Browning. Both are good guns and will last forever. The differences are so small it’s insignificant....it’s a Ford or Chevy thing. The customer service for both brands is worse than awful, so that’s not a factor. It boils down to one thing...which one fits YOU best. It’s that simple.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta or browning for trap

do beretta and browning shoot different

do brownings shoot higher than beretta