1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Optima extended choke tubes and wrench

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rsikole, Sep 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rsikole

rsikole Member

Hello trapshooters,

I have an assortment of Beretta Optima extended choke tubes, and I am very happy with the patterns they produce and the wide assortment of constrictions offered.

What I am not happy with is the poor design of the installation/removal ridges on the chokes and the design of the wrench needed to remove and install them.

The little hook wrench is a terrible tool which tends to get chewed up during installation and removal. The little ridges on the choke tubes which the tool need to engage are the main problem.

There is only about 0.010" - 0.015" engagement of the tool onto the ridges and it is very easy to ruin the tool as you watch the metal pieces flake away if the engagement is less than perfect. One or two removal/installation attempt with less than perfect engagement between the tool and choke tube and the wrench is ruined.

If I use no wrench, the tubes tend to loosen while I shoot, and if I try to tighten them very much with the tool it gets galled up and becomes useless.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to install and remove this design choke tube with something other than the somewhat cheesy "hook" type Beretta tool?

I have chewed up two tools (I paid $18 for one and the Beretta rep gave me the second one free because the first one was ruined) and I have no desire to mess with any more of them.

Thanks for your feedback.

Rob

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I use a small Sloan strap wrench. Best thing going for extended tubes and mag caps. Easy to carry without a hastle. Refused to use the hook spanner from the factory. I find the Beretta factory chokes are much better than most other factory tubes. Just an opinion. There are plenty of good aftermarket but I like the results of Beretta factory.

If you have trouble finding this or have no idea what I'm talking about P.M. me.

3. gkinla

gkinla Member

I ust the Briley Taper Choke wrench for my Beretta Optima Chokes. Leaves no marks and tightens chokes securely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta optima choke key

beretta optima extended choke removal

how to use optima choke tube wrench