1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Monobloc Seperation Top Single

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigSkiff, Apr 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I know this happens now and then but I'd never seen one until it happened to me yesterday. I was shooting the 21 target of the morning on Station 5 when it happened. I did break the target, but when I open the action to eject the shell, the receiver dropped off the barrel. Then I noticed that the barrels were separated from the momobloc.

The shell is stuck in the momobloc but looks like it could be poked out pretty easily. The round was a Federal 1 oz. Light Trap Load 3 1/4 DRAM (Factory load).

Do any of y'all happen to have a number for Beretta Customer Service?

DSCN0366.jpg

DSCN0370.jpg

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Don't have the number for Beretta, but that is one cool picture! Very interesting failure. It would be very enlightening to pull the barrels off and shoot a picture of both parts in detail. You will be able to see the elusive forcing cone.

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I feel bad for you since it happened to your gun guy!

That failure began probably on a Monday morning at the Beretta factory after a vino filled weekend. The silver solder job of joining the two separate pieces wasn't up to par by any stretch of the imagination!

Hap

4. KCDODSON

KCDODSON TS Member

I had the same thing happen to my 682x. You can call them or go to the website. Do not send your gun to any place other than Accokeek, Maryland.

You can call Region Service USA at 1-800-237-3882 or go to the website
    WWW.berettasupport.com

Call them or write to them telling them of the problem (since you have NEVER shot reloads in your gun they will make the repairs).

Beretta USA Corp
    Service Dept.
    17601 Beretta Dr.
    Accokeek, Maryland 20607
    1-800-beretta

my gun was repaired, refinished, completely seviced and returned to me NO CHARGE
    I was very pleased with their work and they returned the barrel within 5 weeks

5. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't think they solder the barrels. From what I read a special adhesive is used.

6. gcessna

gcessna Member

I had that happen to a Beretta TR-1. That is a single barrel trap. I posed the ? on here and was directed to Doug Braker, He is a great guy and a wealth of knowledge. He said separate the barrels from breech, clean them with brake cleaner and use Locktite 680 with 7471 Primer. Put them together and let set for two days. I also got on Locktite's web site and asked the ? to the tech support. They said Doug was right on and it is called a retension fluid, good to 600 degrees. It is used mainly for bearing races and will accomodate up to .7,000 clearence. He said I didn't really need the Primer with a press fit but it would make it stronger. I got it from MSC Industrial Supply Co. The adhesive was $22.00 for 1/3 oz. So far I have about 1,000 rounds since repair and no movement.

Gary Cessna

7. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

BigSkiff, Please DO as Gary Cessna advises It REALLY Does Work. That is what Beretta will do to your gun if you send it to them. You can fix it in (2) days instead of (6)weeks at the earliest. joe90t P.S. If you decide to send it to Beretta MAKE sure you state that you have ONLY fired Factory shells thru your gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I am sure that the Loctite process would work, but I am going to send the barrel back to Beretta. I have never shot reloads through this barrel so telling them that will be easy.

I'm really wondering what caused this to happen in the first place? The brown spots in the photo's are not rust they are some type very sticky oil. The exposed portion of the barrel was very wet right after this happened. I don't oil my guns excessively, and this stuff didn't feel like gun oil anyway. Too sticky.

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Had this happened to a friend, 682 top single. Beretta fixed it and the cost was around $80.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Mfg defect to be sure. I wouldn't let them charge me a thing to fix it, and it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect them to send you a call tag and ship them back to you on their dime as well.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"The brown spots in the photo's are not rust they are some type very sticky oil."

That is "FLUX" used with both soft and or silver soldered joints to weld the two together.

IF that's glue, I'd think it would be dry and hard, not oily? Beretta can fix it right and they should. Regardless of glue or silver solder, it's a Monday job as I stated above.

Hap

12. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

It's held together with spit, that brown stuff is tobaccy juice.

13. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Had a similar thing happen on my 687EELL on the third shot out the barrel. Mine did not seperate completely, just moved out about 1/2 inch. This was the week before the Grand so I took it to Beretta there. They said the solder guy must have called in sick that day. Picked it up the next morning and no problem since.

Bob

14. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

680 Loctite is strong enough to bond the tenons to the monobloc, but 638 would be a better choice as it is stronger then the 680. I have been using 680 for over 30 years and it works well, someone mentioned that it is good up to 600 F and that's not true. At 300 F Loctite has a 50% yield and will break lose at 450 F. If your bonding a gap of less then .002 it will fully cure in less then 24 hours.
    toolmaker251_2008_0303185.jpg

P.S. I would send it back to Beretta and let them worry about how their going to repair it.

15. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I called Beretta today and explained to them what happened. They weren't interested in send me a pick up ticket for it. In fact the gentleman I talked to named Tony seemed more interested in getting me off the phone than helping me understand my options.

He told me to send in my entire gun rather than just the barrel and all he would say is they would look at it and let me know. Not a real helpful guy. It will be four to six weeks from the day they receive it before I get it back. So I guess I'll pack it up and send it in and we will see what happens next. If all of Beretta's Customer Service people are as personable as this guy was, they should be out of business by the end of the year!

16. cmmonaco78

cmmonaco78 Member

I sent you a PM

Christopher Monaco

17. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If it was my gun I would make the repair using Devcon Plastic Steel Epoxy. Same prep as above. HMB

18. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

Well, I've had some time to think about the phone conversation with the folks at Beretta. It just kind of bothered me that their Customer Service guy couldn't give me a couple of minutes to answer my questions. I ask him if I needed a work order number or a reference number before I sent in my gun. He acted like I was trying to be a smartass. He said no just box it up and and mail it to Beretta. So I ask him if there was a department or someone I should send it to? Again I got the attitude. He says just write the word repair on the box and someone will figure out what to do with it when it gets here.

All right I know it's not a Kreighoff but damn Skippy, it's my favorite gun! I'd like to have some assurance that it's going to end up in the repair shop and that when it does they will know who it belongs to!

I think I'll send it to one of the regional repair centers, probably Coles. I've done business with them before and they actually treat you like a customer!

19. BigSkiff

BigSkiff Member

I thought I'd update this thread. I sent my barrel to Rich Cole in Naples, FL to have it repaired. He fixed it and returned it to me very quickly. The entire process took one week from the day I shipped it to him until it was back at my shop. The Cole's were very pleasant to deal with as well. The picture below is the repaired barrel!

DSCN2008.jpg

20. BD457

BD457 Member

just wondering, how much did the repairs (shipping and all) cost?

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta monobloc

beretta top single

how are beretta barrles joined to the monobloc

monobloc beretta