1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta JEG 687 Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Is there any way to make the ejectors extract only or make it so one barrel ejects and one extracts?

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

To make them extract only, all you have to do is grind off the little hook on the ejectors. The other way is to shorten the spring under the ejectors. If you only want one to eject, grind the hook off the other ejector.

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Coles will do the conversion for about $50. IIRC. you don't have to modify the ejectors (you don't want to in any case - they are expensive to replace)- it has to do with the forearm levers. It's a one way deal - to convert back to ejectors you have to replace the forearm levers (much cheaper than replacing ejectors).

The tip of the ejector follows a surface on the forearm levers - that surface needs to be ground slightly to allow the ejector to follow the bbls upon opening rather than being suddenly released when the bottom bbl clears the receiver. When the gun has not been fired the cocking rods are "soft" (i.e. no hammer springs, just cocking lever springs) so when you open the gun the forearm lever that operates the cocking rods don't meet the resistance of the hammer springs. The levers retain their relative position which allows the ejectors to lift while the gun is opening. When the gun has been fired - the forearm levers have to cock the hammer springs - so there is immediate resistance when you open the gun - which causes the forearm levers to rotate which keeps the ejectors from opening until the gun is open far enough for the tips to clear the forearm levers. The difference is in how the forearm levers move when the cocking rods are 'soft' or when they have to cock the hammer springs.

You can shorten the springs - that gets you weak ejectors, not true extractors.

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Keep the ejector. Just put your hand over the hull when you open the gun. Much easyer to take the spent hull out of the gun. Then put it in you bag if you reload.

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I agree. I owned one gun with an extractor instead of an ejector and always disliked having to get gloved fingers on a hull when shooting in the winter. I just put my hand above the monobloc and allow the ejector(s) to place the hull(s) in it.

Ed

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I lightened the ejector springs in mine. When I first got it, the thing would throw the hulls about 6 feet. I cut off one coil at a time until there was just enough tension to keep all the slack out of the ejectors when the barrel was not installed. It just raises them into my hand now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.