1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Info. Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

The Parallel Trap is a good choice for shooting trap. I believe this is their version for it now. Alot of guys are using it as an all around Clays gun also. I would like to know how well it works for an all around. I shoot a 391 Urika Trap Optima as a back up gun when my shoulder bothers me. I have no regrets on buying it, I like everything about it. I should shoot it more than I do.

This past early summer I bought a Urika 2 Sporting Optima for Skeet, Wobble and Sporting. I have not had a single issue with this gun. Have never had a feeding, loading, cycling, FTF, with it. The adjustability of it was perfect. If I miss targets it surely isn't the gun.

I have to believe the Tekneys is a great gun. Top of the line in that series. I thought about spending the difference on it. But, prior to buying I found finish peeling on both used guns and new guns on the rack and guys who owned them at shoots had theirs peeling. To be honest I didn't feeling like having that factory issue to deal with and get frustrated over it. I think they look better but, if it peels or falls off it doesn't.

Beretta customer service. I've heard it has sucked for a long time. I have not had to use them. With my warranty registration I picked up 3 years or 5 years more by sending my card in? I think it's 3 years.

What really pisses me off recently is something similar to your issue. Through calling or e-mailing I can't get any info on a Urika 2 Sporting 20 gauge or a 686 White Onyx Sporting. Wheather you know it or not their web site ain't all that great. If I wasn't that serious about it it wouldn't bother me. But I am. They don't respond or you are on hold forever. I can't hold forever. A reasonable time I can do that. So until I can actually talk with someone at Beretta I to put Beretta Customer Service in a sucks and blows catagory. But, I do like the Berettas I own.

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

I have been shooting Beretta's for more than 20 years and have never had a reason to call customer service so I cannot address that issue.

I've owned and or shot the 682's, 686's, 687's, ASE's, DT10's, A302's, A303's, 390's, 391's and 391 Teknys Gold Trap....

I presently own and shoot a Teknys 391 Gold Trap and have in the closet a 302, 303, 391LW....

I consider the 391 Teknys the best of all the Semi Autos and they are worth the extra money as an upgrade.

As far as finish goes, Beretta offered a special finish called Xtrawood for a couple of years, it was a hi tech bath dip poly coat application (like dipping an Easter egg) that in some cases peeled off the stock, it was a disaster and discontinued...

now they have another hi tech application called Xtragrain where they somehow laser the stock to enhance the natural existing grain, I think it is an ok application....to the best of my knowledge it is used on certain 391 Semi Autos only....

It is not used on the Teknys...

Beretta comes out with something new about every 6 months...

Their new Xplor 400 will be sold in a Sporting/Trap version in about 6 months....

Hard to keep up with all the new stuff Beretta brings out...

You have to pick and choose your Beretta so be carefull and ask a lot of questions but not from the dealer...

Well you should be really confused now...eh

Ifen you really need to know about the 391 ask Tron (Joe)(here on TS.com) he really is a knowledgable person regards that gun.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i had several techney traps at my club- the rib change , i dont think really went over very well! original ones had a problem with coming off. it was an easy fix with changing the bevel of the quick attach and it moved the rib slightly forward away from the reciever. i never hear of that problem now. yes the finish did come off one and the colored blue inserts fell out on several but cud be glued back in. the adj. comb hardware is not favored vs a round post w/ washers!-- yes it did come with a recoil reducer in the stock.--the parellel target is by far the better all around gun if you are looking at new?-- the 391 gold target- way better wood ( real oil finish- not enhanced gain)- jeweled reciever, lop is 14 1/4" std length? come with 2 recoil pads. $45 will buy you the recoil reducer that goes in the stock and $200 or less will put an adj comb hardware in your stock-- and this is a very nice gun which out shines the techney!!!!!--NOW my true love is what chuckles has- a 303-- it has a somewhat of a cult status--- join the club-- call me i'll set you up with one!! wally riebesell 660-744-4115--- PS: Brownells is now one of the service centers for beretta.

4. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

one more thing-- i dont think the beretta reps can even fully inform you on differant 391 models-- i have quizzed them at the grand - i think they are more in tune with law enforcement sales and the beretta clothing line???

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Hence, I'm lucky to have (2) great working Urikas. But, who do I talk to if I need to. On my 3rd purchase my luck may start to run out. I currently have 2 Berettas in mind I want. If I can't get through to someone worth wild, I just buy another Browning. I'll give them a good track record with what I have now but, I want to feel a bit more comfortable about the 20 ga. 391's and a 686 White Oxyx before I buy it.

6. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I bought a new Beretta 682 Gold E Un-single and boy was I frustrated with it, they dipped the gun in a preservative and You could not adjust the comb, it was locked up in the preservative, and so was the trigger, you could not pull the trigger, Had to take the stock off and use an X-acto knife and scrape it off the trigger where it was coming thru the reciever, I then took some solvent and brushed the trigger assy as best as possible, once I got it freed up I had to pull the trigger numerous times and had to pusth the trigger forward as it would sick to the rear, It took an hour to get it properly freed up.

Next came the adjustable comb hardware, it took a lot of work to get it out out
    of the comb, stuck w/same preservative, worse than cosmolene, Major job to clean it up, Called Beretta Service and told them about it, they shrugged it off as an factory problem.

I got everything working I thiught, I took the gun to have a release trigger installed and he called me and said Gary the trigger mechanism was loaded up with that preservative and had a hell of a time getting it cleaned up,
    he charged a little extra for the cleaning up of this substance, he said he never saw a NEW BERETTA so gummed up in all of his years working on them.

I told him to clean up the comb adjustment components while he had it.

He tried varous solvents before he found one that worked dissolving the preserveative, I asked Beretta to send me $20.00 for the extra cleaning chgs.
    but it fell on deaf ears.

Out of the box the gun would not fire, PERIOD I pulled the trigger like hell more than 25 lbs, it was stuck.

I sent Beretta a letter about it, no response.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Enough to make you think Beretta USA doesn't even exist. Wish someone at Beretta would chime in.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I spent a day at Beretta USA's Accokeek, Maryland plant in September of 2008 and met some very nice folks there who sure seemed committed to customer service but I've heard a lot of this kind of scuttlebutt about them. I have the email addresses of several of their upper-level management people and will see that this thread is brought to their attention.

Every one of the gentleman in the gun side of their business that I spoke with is an avid outdoorsman. All of them hunt, both here and abroad, and their service manager raises German shorthair pointers as well, so they are "gun guys" for sure.

Now, the clothing folks are a different story. A woman from a New York City firm heads up their "galleries" and seems proud of the fact that all of their clothing except their camo and blaze orange hunting gear is Italian cut and therefore won't fit most Americans. I wear XXL in almost every type of garment but can't get the buttons on a Beretta XXL sports shirt with within three inches of their holes. And that's their largest size. But this woman has Beretta convinced that their clothing line can become a "lifestyle" ala Harley-Davidson. Time will tell and based upon the emails I receive proclaiming their latest sales promotion, it isn't working.

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.