1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BERETTA HIGH SHORT RIB USED IN DOUBLE TRAP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike-israel, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

GOT A QUESTION!!! RE THE BERETTA SHORT HIGH RIB USED BY A DOUBLE TRAP SHOOTER IN BEIGING AT THE WORLD CUP!!!

Noticed these last year at the Olympic Podcast. Anyone see them used at ATA shoots.
    STRANGE BEASTS!!!! NOTICE THOUGH THAT SOME DOUBLE TRAP SHOOTERS USING HIGH/ULTRA HIGH RIBS pioneered in ATA ---evaluation?

Affectation or usefull ??

observation about equal PERAZZI AND DT-10 used in Beiging

can see the World Cup at my thread:

WORLD CUP BEIJING--PODCAST URLs

good shooting all and apppreciate if now and then an up and ttt so others can appreciate the WORLD CUP BEIGING............MIKE

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Yes I do. He's a UAE shooter. Also has a great sense of humour looking at those earmuffs.

ss

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

To answer the question.. Speaking to some of our US Olympic bunker trap shooters in Kerrville.. they mentioned it.. as it keeps a upright head..but swings much better than the full rib.. But.. as Sportshot said.. it's not for everyone.. The concept.. which Ljutic actually invented many years ago.. was to look out over the barrel..and not at the back of it.. If you do that.. you do not need the whole rib.. Also..the rib section can be made much lighter..and stronger..as its a short section.. Another big plus is you have less of a sail on your barrel on a windy day..
    I have not tried one yet... but I'm thinking about it... All Good.. Mike

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Everything PBB said, plus the following. It is a very inexpensive way to convert a standard, fixed rib International trap or Skeet barrel to a high rib unit. Many clamp or screw on, so when you want to change height, screw one off and another on.

I made a junior version of that myself when I wanted to experiment with a higher ribbed gun using my MX-15 low ribbed barrel. I can tell you that the improvement in sighting is substantial. Keen Sight wasn't around at the time. If I could have sweet talked any of the usual suspects into making me a pretty version, I'd still own that MX-15 barrel and it would be sporting a 1/3 rib length add-on.

BTW, if you like a high POI for ATA trap, you can achieve a lot of the sight improvement by simply jacking up the comb on a low ribbed barrel. You see a lot of rib, but the receiver end doesn't get in the way. I just don't understand why so many shooters look flat down the rib (buried beads). Even the Italians look over the rib, not flat down it.

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Sheik Ahmed's Beretta in the Olympics.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

He said the ear muff was to transfer people's attention from his big nose.

6. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

GUYS ALL GOOD INFO AND YES I REMEMBER IT WAS SHEIK MAKTOOM WHO I FIRST SAW THE RIB WITH.

AS TO TH LJYTIK I EVEN RECALL THAT TYPE OF RIB ON THE --WAS IT SPACE GUN??

THERE YOU GO ELLIOT--IF YOU WANT INFO TRAPSHOOTER.COM WAY TO GO.

guys forgive all caps as i am using a laptop holding one hand typing with over....MIKE

7. jhoward

jhoward Member

Wow...I've seen that picture before but didn't pay much attention. What a strange shooting style. The gun is very low on his shoulder, almost down on his chest and his right elbow is pulled in against his body. It looks very uncomfortable. Is this a common style in bunker and olympic trap?

8. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

STYLE AIN'T EVERYTHING IN BUNKER--LIKE WHATEVER WORKS.CK OUT MY WORLD CUP THREAD TO SEE THE TRAP AND DOUBLES FINALS IN BEIGING.

RE UAE --DUBAI --GREAT BUNKER RANGE AT JEBIL ALI GOLF AND SHOOTING RESORT. WANNA GET THEIR.

MAYBE SOMEONE KNOWS---ALL INFO AVAILABLE ON TRAPSHOOTER!! THERE WAS/IS MORE THAN ONE OF THE MAKTOON FAMILY SHOOTING. ONE WONE THE TRAP DOUBLES AT THE GRAND IN THE EIGHTIES.... QUESTION IS THIS THE SAME CHAP WHO NOW IS YHE CEO OF EMIRATES AIRLINE...I THINK HE IS AS ONE OF OUR TRAPSHOOTER CONTRIBUTORS SAID HE SHOT WITH HIM IN THE 80'S IN DALLIS ,IF I RECALL-AS HE WAS TAKING FLIGHT TRAINING TO PILOT THE 757 HIS POP THE EMIR BOUGHT-----SO THAT WOULD BE A FIT....INTERESTING EH?....MINE OF USELESS INFO!!!!...MIKE

9. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I talked with Ahmed's coach about the short rib and he indicated he and Ahmed went round and round about the short rib even though he had won with it and insisted on using it for China. He later came back and was more accepting of the coaches idea that the short rib had its drawacks and that he might have been handicapped by it as opposed to a full length rib.
    Chuck

10. copper

copper Member

God stock looks very short also look at his hand on his cheek , This is a differen,t train of thought than we were taught as far as gun fit

11. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Ljutic had those on some of the space guns. Have a buddy that has one. Have shot them and they are not easy to master. Requires a certain type of mindset AND especially what you learned how to shoot well on. That is why we see so many low rib guns. A lot of people learned on them. I learned on a 1100 TA MC. So I shoot that particular set up well.

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

It's my understanding that those short ribs are popular in Australia. I've experimented with a few and found them interesting, the jury's still out. Vicki Keen can make you any size and type you'd like to try. All the best, Bob

13. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Ahmed was the first that I know of to shoot a high rib in Double Trap. It wasn't until his success with it that Perazzi came out with the MX2005, Hakan Dahlby of Sweden still shoots one of their first prototypes. The only reason Ahmed and other Beretta shooters "add on" a rib is because Beretta does not produce a high rib gun/barrel (yet.....). There are rumors that they will have one very shortly. One of the advantages to having the add on so short is to avoid a blind spot when shooting Double Trap on post 2 for righties, 4 for lefties. Now some shooters who use the MX2005 and K Special Trap are removing segments of the high rib to keep from being obstructed. I have restrained from taking a hack saw to my MX2005 so far, but do have a blind spot on post 2, A setting depending on how the targets are set and how far down in the house the machines are (i.e. Kerrville) and have to shoot that pair left to right.

Jeff Holguin

14. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

I AM PLEASED AS PUCNCH TO SEE 'PERRAZIUSER"-- PICKING UP ON THIS THREAD- JEFF THANK YOU FOR INPUT

JEFF -CHRIS HAF POSTED THE HEADS UP ON THE BEIGING PODCASTS---THEY WERE GREAT--I POSTED THEM ON ANOTHER THREAD --WORLD CUP BEIGING-PODCAST".

PROPLEM WAS THET DID NOT POST THE LONG VERSION--- FINALS DOUBLE TRAP-- ONLY THE 3MINUTE CONDENSED VERSION--TOO BAD VERY VISUAL

JEFF EVER THINK THAT A SIMILAR HIGH QUALITY --CANERA ANGLES, COMMENTARY ETC.---COULD BE DONE TO PROMOTE ATA ...JUST A THOUGHT

ALL THE BEST DOWN THE LINE---YOUR ADMIRER!!

BY THE BY IAM 66 BUT HAVE FALLEN FOR YOUNG ROSSI!!!!

MIKE
    SGNT/MAJ RE IDF ---SNIPER INSTRUCTOR

15. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

I GOOTA REREAD MY POSTS-FOR TYPOS ---TOO LAZY I GUESS..APOLOGIZE..MIKE

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I believe this is an example of some people have different needs for fitting but I also believe it is extremely rare for and individual to have to go that far from "conventional" thinking.

It is also in my own opinion that if you have enough time, money, and dedication, you can make anything work up to a certain level, eventually you hit the wall that won't let you improve. You see this in all kinds of sports, someone comes up with something radicaly different that turns the world on it's head but it fades and conventional ways come back. Don't get me wrong, I have respect for this guy, he has shot extremely well but I'm not convinced he did it in spite of his equipment not because of it.

I'm not an old curmudgeon who refuses to change either, I just need convincing. Most people are surprised at how open minded I am for my age.

17. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Thanks Charlie.
    SGM, did you happen to see Jessica Rossi's score in the final? As she came walking off the line I told her, "you are still a World Champion." Not sure if she took any comfort in that, considering the way I feel immediately after a poor performance but she did manage a small smile.
    You bring up a very interesting point about covering ATA in a similar way as the ISSF does for the international game. I would be willing to bet that live, online coverage of shootoffs at the Grand would be a big hit with shooters around the country that can't make it to Sparta....

Jeff Holguin

18. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

First of all I apologize for using all CAPS. Reason --and I know it is considered yelling, I have a laptop and wi-fi and like to layback on the coach and type one handed while using the other to hold the machine---won't do it again---MIKE

Jeff did see Miss Rossi's score-- I would think she raelizes it was a strange situation. She looked like one frozen puppy. Michael Diamond said she more than once cleaned his clock in Italy--she seems to be a tough young lady and will push that score behind her---what was it 10-12 ---most of the other scores wern't much better. The China lady hung tough though.

Re. Podcast of Grand. You gotta admit the ISSF did an outstanding job --and the camera work was great. With flash targets --very visual & pleasing. Have used them here for finals....made them ourselves in the 80s-90's as were expensive to import. A tablespoon of colored soap powder and a piece of bistal board paper cut and glued to the bottom--worked well.

Question to Jeff and Allan Chubb if you see this. How would a club like Lonato or elsewere finance a setup like that -- the new range to Ronato ?? built an example. Read somewere costwas $25M.I would think that the membership plus shoots would barely pay for upkeep let alone pay off investement....Cyprus is a differant as the government has deep pockets and builds the ranges ane turns them over to the Cypriot Shooting Association....built a new range at Larnaka ex. And China built the new range for the Olympics - if I remember--so thats a special case....also Mirabor comes to mind.
    Maybe angles with again deep pockets.....just wondering.

BEST TO ALL_MIKE

19. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

Mike-Israel

The long version is on the Issf tv site. Just scroll down, it is currently 9 from the top. http://issf-sports.org/tvplayer.aspx At says long version to the right of preview. It is not highlighted but it is a good link.

20. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Mike-Israel,

You're asking a complex question that is impossible to offer a simple answer to in this forum. The range that Renato Lamera and his family built at TAV Cieli Aperti in Bergamo, Italy was built as an extension to their families passion for the sports. The Lamera family owns a very large gravel and concrete company (Do you see where this is going already?). You will never know what the real costs were to build this range, because they were not dealing with retail pricing as other ranges would have to consider before construction. In short, you'd be trying to compare apples to zebras if you're looking for pricing structure for a similar facility. They already owned the land so it's impossible to quantify that into the costs of the facility. It really doesn't matter because of the extremely unique dynamics of the family and their overall life long commitment to the sports.

It is a fabulous facility and the Lamera's are adding new features to it very time we visit. I was there on two different trips this year and it's nice to see that they are really adding details to the facility as it relates to shooter comforts. The Armeria (Pro Shop) is currently under construction in which there will be an apartment on the second floor for Renato's daughter to occupy. Renato, his Father, Son and Daughter are all 100% involved in this venture. As most people know Renato is a world renowned trick shooter and has made a wonderful reputation for himself throughout Europe and epecially Italy. His successful trick shooting career has helped to finance the venture as well as brought the spot light of his fame to their efforts at this range. Building a range such as this in Italy can not be compared to any other place in the world. Italy is a gem where such a well run facility like this can flourish and be tremendously successful. Building this range in any other place in the world would bring economic ruin to its investors within the first year. This range is crowded on every Wednesday afternoon and on every Saturday and Sunday. The range is in constant use during the other days by national team members from other nations as well as Italian businessmen slipping out of the office for a few hours to train and enjoy the sport.

Other ranges such as those built recently in Cyprus and Munich, Germany are not expected to turn a profit or for that matter even come close to it, because it was built with government/tax money. No government on this planet cares about building any profitable venue no matter what it is, because the concept of profits are foreign and ugly to governments especially those of a Socalist nature. They only understand taxation and don't believe in profit. Success is irrelevant when government money is used, nor is it expected and that's exactly why most of them are not successful/profitable.

I would recommend to cease over thinking this matter and accept it for what it is, where it is and enjoy it when you can.

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used high rib beretta 687 nov 2014