1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Forearm Issue

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Bluegoose, Nov 16, 2016.

1. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Well-Known Member

I had Beretta USA install a left hand wood set on my 28 ga White Onyx about 2 years ago. When I got the gun back, the forearm could wiggled to the extent that it rattled. I checked the screws and they were tightened so I sent the gun back and they seemed to have resolved the problem.

Now, I was attempting to remove the forearm iron and after removing the 2 screws, the forearm iron is still solidly attached to the wood. I cannot loosen it by hand and do not want to force anything, in fear of cracking the wood. Although I don't see any evidence, I'm wondering if the factory epoxied the iron to the wood???
    I doubt seriously that I would get any useful response from Beretta USA.

Any ideas on how I might proceed without damaging the wood.

2. Steve Adams

Steve Adams TS Member

If they used epoxy, it will break down when heated. Try a hair dryer.

3. RichTozer

RichTozer Member

Hair dryer will not get anywhere near the temp needed to breakdown epoxy. A tryout heat gun would, but would also scorch the wood.

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Banned User Banned

They probably glass bedded it. Sometimes it takes a bit of persuasion to get it to release. Hopefully they put some release agent on the metal first.

5. bluesasquatch

bluesasquatch Member

I would try a few light taps with a heavy hammer on a brass punch to loosen. If that doesn't work I would send to Beretta as there is real risk of splitting the forearm. If they used release agent it should come loose. If not better they split it than you.

Stl Flyn thanked this.
  6. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Put it in the freezer. The differing contraction rates can sometimes make epoxies let loose

7. Lucky1

Lucky1 TS Member

Pet your screws in from the other side just partway, then tap them lightly. They should fit tight, doubt if they use epoxy or glue. Mine fit really tight after refinishing, used above method to remove iron.