1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta feed back

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by iliad, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iliad

iliad TS Member

I have a problem with a rust problem with a Beretta 687EE/LL older model. I use a release trigger, 700x powder, Federal primers, 12S3wads, Federal paper hulls.
    I had the trigger work done by Spears who I am very satisfied with his work.
    He told me he never saw this kind of a problem with a Beretta but he has seen this with Brownings (BT99).
    I get such a serious rust problem that the trigger will not operate because of rust accumulation on all the trigger parts in the reciever. Spears has sandblasted all of the parts and used a very heavy rust resistant lube trying to stop the rust problem but it still occurs.
    I am looking for some input from anyone who may have had the problem in the past and how did you solve the problem fron reaccuring.
    Could use your input!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank You Iliad

2. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I will guess it has to do with tha acid in your skin and especially in hot muggy weather. Some people just rust the crap of of guns while others have no affect. Have you had trouble with any other guns you shoot with bluing wear or pitting where you hold the gun? Just my guess.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have noticed some jugs of 700X leave a lot of water in the chamber of the gun, possibly some of that is getting in the trigger group through the firing pin holes when you set the gun in a gun rack or store it muzzle up.

I am also guessing you live in a humid climate.

Try this, after leaving the firing line, put wooly snap scaps in the tubes before racking the gun. Also consider changing powders, CLAYS doesn't have the moisture problem the 700x does as far as I have noticed. Clean and oil the gun tubes before you put it away, you might even want to pull the stock off to check for moisture now and then. If you keep your gun in a gun safe, get a golden rod dehumidifyer and some desicant. Alternatively you could just place a tube of desicant in the receiver of the gun while you have it stored in a break down type case.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

BAD 303,

I find it hard to believe that a rust problem of the nature being descibed is being caused by acidic skin oils. Please re-read the post and think about your answer.

I would be taking a hard look at the stock and the finish that is on it. Something is putting some corrosive fumes inside the receiver.

I have no knowledge of 700X or its properties as I've never reloaded it.

ss

5. EE

EE Banned User Banned

I'd be willing to bet that it being a Beretta has nothing to do with what's going on.

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

There was alot of salt cured wood used years ago on Brownings Weatherbys and Winchesters . Many High grade blanks could have been had that were treated this way. Have been using 700-X 35 years with no problems. There is a tes to tell if the wood has salt. Simple way is look at the recoil pad screws. Jeff

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I also included the fact that sweat mixed with skin acids are definatly a problem from some peoples systems. Is it the reason i don't know just speculation from all of us. Sorry i did not include the speculation part shortsucker. I will yield to your knowledge. Please enlighten us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.