1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Extrema 2 vs Beneli SBE II

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charlie Becknell, Aug 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My nephew is looking to buy a semi auto for hunting. Which would you suggest? He is not going to use it for targets except an occasional round of sporting clays.

Charlie

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Although these are touted as being very similar guns - they are miles apart in reality.

The SBE-II is the best selling high-end waterfowl gun made. A little research will show you that they outsell the Xtrema about 3:1 at your local dealer. The question is - how much of that is due to good marketing vs being better thahn the Xtrema (BTW - both guns are made by Beretta).

If you like a light, VERY fast pointing gun - go withthe SBE-II. If you like a more traditionally balanced gun - then go with the Xtrema. The SBE-II requires a dedicated swing (my opinion) where the Xtrema swings like an 1100.

To me, the SBE-II kicks like its angry. 3.5" shells out of it (to me) are a form of corporal punishment. The Xtrema with the KO system takes a lot of the punch out of the 3.5 shell. Without it, it is mildly less brutal than the SBE-II - again - just to me.

As for functionality - the SBE-II is just flat out reliable. Make sure the bolt is all the way forward when you chamber that first round (or hear hte famous "Benelli click) and it will cycle any hunting load you want. Mine cycles 1 1/8 trap loads OK - but make sure you shoot it wet when you want to shoot light loads.

The Xtrema has its own "click" issue, and there is a video on youtube from Beretta to show you how to assemble the gun properly to prevent it from happening. Everyone I know with one has had it happen. You really need to pay attention to the spacers in the front of the forend and make sure the barrel and forend arre seated tightly against the receiver.

The Xtrema cycles all loads down to 1 oz reliably. After break-in, most will cylce 7/8 loads without a hiccup as well.

The Xtrema is back-bored and shoots larger size shot better than the Benelli - but my Benelli patterns up to BB very well. It does like 3's the best, however.

Finally - at the price point he is considering - don't overlook the new A400 Xtreme. Light like the Benelli, recoild reduction like the Xtrema. Now that Briley is making after market chokes for this gun - thsere is no reason not to put it in the mix.

Joe

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Joe,

Thanks for that informative discussion. I had heard that the Benelli kicked like a Missouri Mule. My son loves the Extrema and my brother loves his SBE II.

4. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

The whole crew I waterfowl hunt with has traded their SBE II's for Extremas.

Benelli's turned out to be very expensive singles shots for many of them.

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the famous beneli click

xtrema 2 vs a400 xtreme choke size forum