1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta DT10 ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Would this used gun be suitable for trap shooting ?

"Beretta Model DT-10 Trident Sporting Over/Under Shotgun. 12 Gauge, 3" Chamber, 32" Barrel Length. LEFT HAND. Cast Off (left handed shooter) / Adjustable Comb, additional Kick-Eez recoil pad."

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I don't see why not. I used a Browning 425 (Sporting) for doubles for 3 or 4 yrs. before getting my Beretta combo.

Curt

3. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Hammer,

The DT-10 is a SUPERB shotgun that will serve you well, however, the SPORTING model may not be best suited for TRAP. The rib and comb configuration on a sporting model is different than a trap model. A S682X Trap Combo, like the one pictured below, will cover all the games and last a lifetime. It is loaded with features and extras and it is available for $3,000 as pictured.

[​IMG]

34" Un-Single barrel with 3 OEM flush mount choke tubes & 3 OEM extended choke tubes.

32" O/U barrels with 4 Briley Thin Wall extended choke tubes

Adjustable MECHANICAL PULL/PULL Trigger

Right hand palm swell on upgraded wood with adjustable comb, adjustable butt plate and adjustable high end recoil reduction system.

Sight-Science flouresent light pipe sights on both barrels

Virgin unmolested factory specification bores on all three barrels.

Beretta Logo Combo Case included...a lot of gun for the money.

4. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

What is the difference between the Beretta DT10 model and the S682X ?

Realize the two specific guns might be stocked or have ribs specifically for different sports -- trap versus sporting clays.

But are there differences in the action, trigger, barrel design or construction ?

Is one mechanically a newer design or a higher grade model mechanically ?

In Browning Citoris there are no mechanical design difference between a $1,200 and a $5,000 Citori. The differences are in wood, ribs, finish, polish, and marketing. And those aspects are not to be discounted. But the action, barrels, and triggers are the same.

5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Smokin' Joe,

What is the stock cast of the gun you have pictured ?

Does it favor a right-hand or left-hand shooter ?

I have been lucky and done real well with purchasing used guns, but I am very stock cast sensitive. With the proper cast I shoot alright. Wrong cast and I can't hit nothing.

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The 68X series of Berettas are the lower end guns - nothing wrong with them in any way... They use coil springs for firing rather than leaf springs (leaf springs in the DT-10 and SO series guns). The DT-10 has a detachable trigger group as well, which if you have a spare trigger group (many can be had with one) you can change the entire firing mechanism in about two minutes.

I have both and prefer the DT-10 way above the 68X guns - it just feels more solid.

By the way, I am left handed and all my guns have left handed wood on them.

I have trap and sporting barrels for the DT-10 - I use the sporting barrels exclusively - but I shoot sporting clays and skeet sometimes with it, so I prefer the flater shooting gun even for trap. This is a must for bunker.

You will pay more for the DT-10 over the 68X guns, but most people in the know will tell you the DT-10 is probably the best value for the $$ available in a shotgun. Half the price of a 'P' gun, one third the price of a 'K' gun, yet basically their equal.

After some slight and rare problems when they first came out (doubling, opening the action when shot) these guns are solid. Have never needed anything for mine...

7. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Hammer,

That is an excellent point...gun fit is more important than anything else when it comes to consistently breaking clays and unless you can afford the time and money to have a custom stock made specifically for you, the most reasonable alternative is to find a gun that can be adjusted to your needs.

This S682X has a 3/8" right hand offset built into the stock along with a right hand palm swell. It also has a 4 way adjustable comb that moves with the recoil reducer system and an adjustable butt plate. It also has the benefit of having an OEM adjustable trigger. I've got to believe that this gun can be set to accomodate viturally any right handed shooter.

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The biggest difference physically between the DT10 and the 682 Berettas in the action the way they lock up is different, the drop out triggers are different as the 682's don't have a drop out trigger.

Probably the biggest difference in the price at the web page above the second gun on the list is a DT10L combo the price is $12,000 the fourth gun on the list is a 682 Gold E combo for $4,600. Both are new both have choke tubes they are unsingles the DT10 doesn't say so but the photos do. Now I don't know about anyone else but to me $7,400 is a hell of a difference. Which would mean that the DT10 would have to be one hell of a better gun for my dollars.

I am not knocking the DT10 as I have never owned one I have shot one but I don't see that much difference in value dollar wise. I shoot a Beretta 682S and have for the last 18 years and for the bucks you can't find a better gun.JMO

Smok'n Joe that is a good looking Beretta I wish you well in selling it.

Bob Lawless

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Bob, a DT10L is a luxury grade. I have bought both curvy and my DT10 combos for less than the $4600 price tag on the E.

10. skeezix

skeezix Member

Yes the DT 10L is an engraved version of the basic DT 10 (the L means Lusso or Luxury). There is about a $2,000 difference in suggested retail between a DT 10 Sporting and a DT 10 L Sporting.

The DT means Detachable Trigger. I have one - don't have a clue how to change the leaf springs. The triggers drop out easily, but the springs are not as accesable as the Perazzi springs.

Extra bbls are pricey - even if you can find them. There is a pretty significant difference between suggesed retail on the 682 combo and the DT 10 trap combo. ($11,450 vs $5,150)

john

11. ivanhoe

Thanks Martin I don't know a lot about the DT10 as they are out of my price range by a long way. If you got a DT10 and Curvy for that short of money you are either lucky or a smooth talker......LOL

Bob Lawless

12. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

Thanks Bob,

I took it on trade but haven't shot it yet. If it's not snowing tonight, I'm going to shoot a few rounds with it and I'll let you know how it went. I've got more into it than I'd like, but it came with so many extras, I thought I'd take a chance.

It took about hour to get it cleaned up and set up for myself. With all the adjustable options it could be set up for just about any right hand shooter.
    The MECHANICAL PULL/PULL adjustable gold trigger is pretty sweet. Being able to adjust the LOP with a little screwdriver is a plus. The Un-Single and the Under barrels are ported and it came with enough choke tubes to cover all the games.

Replacement parts for these 68X series guns are dirt cheap compared to a P-Gun or K-Gun and are readily avaialble. I've heard that a good Beretta technician can virtually rebuild a receiver while you wait at the Grand.

What made my decision to take on this particular combo was all the add ons like the Briley Thin Wall chokes for the O/U barrels and Scott Hyde HIP recoil system that was installed for the previous owner. It's a lot like the Soft Touch system I have on my Krieghoff but even better. It came with the optional compression spring set which allows the shooter maintain consistent recoil under all temperature variations and a thru-the-pad butt plate adjuster for up/down, side/side and toe in/out settings. Did I mention the Mechanical Trigger conversion?

Yes...I'm pretty excited about this combo and I'm looking forward to giving it a go tonight. I'll be shooting with the "Big Dogs" tonight and working on my my Leo Harrison imitation!

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Ivanhoe,
    Ya learn something every day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL.

Sandy Holehouse.

14. ivanhoe

Joe I don't know where you live but right here in Maine (I am in Mass)we have one of the best Beretta gunsmiths in the country in Rich Cole.

My trigger aren't mechanical but they are so well tuned that all one has to do is move the gun around and it will switch over. Complements of Mr. Cole's expertise. I am not a big fan of porting or recoil systems. That however is a sweet looking Beretta. One question you said it is a S682X I have heard of a 682X but never a S682X. The one I have is a 682S it has a silver receiver like the 680's had and it is not young. Rich Cole told me it has been around longer than the 682X's have so it isn't new but it is effective if I do my part.

Well I hope it works out for you good luck with it.

Bob Lawless

15. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Beretta DT-10 trap. It look like a DT-10 Sporting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta dt 10
beretta dt10

beretta dt10 review

beretta dt10 sporting left hand

beretta dt10 trap

beretta dt10 trap gun

beretta dt10 trap review

difference between dt10 trap or sporting