1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta DT-10 Opinions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

In my neck of the woods (NC, SC), the Beretta 682 has a relatively strong following in trap circles. Why is the DT-10 so obviously absent? It has an extremely strong following in the Sporting Clays world, but they haven't seemed to make it in the trap world? Why is that, or do I have very limited view of the DT-10s usage in the world of trapshooting?

Thanks.

WNCRob

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

One was good enough to break 1100 straight targets at the Grand this year. I think it had a little help from the shooter. Lol.

ec90t

3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Yes, I was aware of that. Still quite curious as to this model's pros and cons, and why it is not more widely used.

Thanks.

WNCRob

4. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

The DT-10 is a fine weapon but for the price the 682 is a far far and I mean a far better deal.

If you have the extra money then spend it on the DT-10 but if still want a fantastic weapon that will do all you want and more then the 682 is the way to go.

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Old Cowboy ... your forgot a couple of $'s on your response.

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rob, I agree with your observation and attribute it to perceived value. Most shooters seem to have a hard time accepting that "a Beretta" is worth nearly the same amount of money as a Perazzi, Krieghoff or Kolar. In fact, at the 2001 Connecticut State Shoot, which took place perhaps a year after the DT-10 and 682 Gold E were released, I spoke with a Beretta rep at their display about that very thing. That Beretta factory employee told me that he didn't think the DT-10's Greenier locking system, which he considered the major difference between the two models, made it worth almost twice as much money as the 682.

I have to admit that I employed similar reasoning with regard to a choice of Beretta trap guns. My son and I are both shooting Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II combos for about what one standard-grade DT-10 combo would have cost. While I think that a Perazzi, Krieghoff, Kolar or DT-10 might outlast a Citori or 687, only the most active tournament shooters will ever take advantage of that durability. There are an awful lot of Berettas, Brownings and Remingtons still going strong after many years of use by "average" trapshooters.

Remington experienced the same phenomenon with their 90-T. It's tough for a manufacturer of affordable popularly-priced items to enjoy success with an upscale product. The public just doesn't perceive such a company's products as being "upscale."

Ed

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

They look like a cross between a 682 and an SKB and cost as least twice as much as either.

John C. Saubak

9. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rob, I have wondered the same thing. It may have something to do with cost in some cases. As ec90T mentioned, Leo seems to think they are ok.

I just traded my KS-5 Special off for a DT-10 combo at the MO Fall Hdc. this yr.I had never shot one;nor really talked to anyone who had. I just decided it was time to pick one gun instead of shooting 3 different ones. I picked one up at Fairchids and after talking to several gunsmiths at the shoot; I traded for it. Mistake??? we'll see. Living in NE, has not given me much time to get the gun set up. I'm sure it's going to take a lot of time shooting on paper and at the trap range getting things set up to shoot the way I want.

I have talked to a gentleman about the gun quite extensively that posted on this site and who shoots one. He has been very helpful in giving me some advice about setting the gun up. He has been very impressed with the gun.

I know this doesn't really answer your question, but just though I would share with you and maybe someone will post with some more useful information.

I am excited and anxious to shoot the gun some more, but it looks like about April now.

Good shooting,

Steve

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rick, I agree - don't forget, I shoot a 687 now - but Perazzis did not gain the following they have by wearing out prematurely. After all, a Krieghoff Model 32 receiver is softer than a K-80's but that doesn't mean they wear a lot. There's hard and then there's hardER and the latter isn't always necessary.

Ed

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

The DT-10 is not the gun Beretta says it is. The 682 Gold Evolution is the better deal. The Ten's trigger assy' is less than stellar, and the locking system is not set up for the long haul. This is from a factory trained Beretta Armorer (your humble poster).

As far as the Perazzi, they are in a class of their own. Most folks who have the Italian Beauty are willing to give it the attention it craves. Many who neglect them still get great service.

I enjoy my Italian twins, but as a gunsmith, I can lavish the attention on them they like for cost of parts. We tend to shoot them to death because of the way they perform.

I also performed warranty service and repair for Ithaca/Perazzi and Winchester/ Perazzi. This may give me an edge on servicing my Twins. LOL

The Perazzi is so easy to service, it is irresponsible for an owner to neglect them. Last night, I totally disassembled, cleaned and inspected both my Twins. It took about the same amount of time as a thorough cleaning on one Beretta or Remmy Gaspipe. Yes, I was bored. LOL They needed no parts.

As you may have noticed, there are fine folks on this forum who have parts for these thoroughbreds.

12. trapwife

trapwife Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Not many go longer or harder than Leo and his locking system is holding up just fine.....

13. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Sounds like 687EELL may have come in behind some Perazzi's. I've owned both and my favorite gun of all time is a sweet handling 20 ga. Beretta SXS. For the demands of shooting competition I will go with the Perazzi although I am currently shooting a Cole. It seems the best shooters around the world seem to favor Perazzi's for competition. JRM

14. Bunkershooter1

Bunkershooter1 TS Member

If a Perazzi is so bad then why did it win 11 medals at the Olympics.

15. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

In the late 80s & early 90s Beretta introduced the ASE 90 & later the ASE Gold which were hand-made in their SO shop, to compete with the higher end P & K guns. Unfortunately they couldn't make any money on these high quality guns so they introduced the DT-10, lower quality & cheaper to manufacture. The first DT-10s suffered from quality issues which were subsequently corrected, but I guess they never lived down their original reputations as not being worth the money. They're great guns but a used ASE, if you can find one, or the 680 series are far better deals.

16. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well, I can't help myself when I read theads that criticize guns that either the poster can't afford or have never shot. The "can't afford" always takes the position that they are not worth the money and the gun that they own is worth the money. We never evaluate OUR OWN gun as a less than adequate buy. We do the same in a car... can't admit that we made a mistake in a purchase. And of course, "MY" gun is better than any other out there even though I have never owned another or shot it. Well, I own a DT-10 and won a state championship with it. I bought it because it felt better handling vs. the other Beretta's. Nothing wrong with other Beretta's or Parazzi's... for me the gun fit and pointed better. Currently, I shoot a Dennis DeVault MACH ONE. Also, when someone shows up at your/our range and is a new shooter and is the proud owner of a Mossberg... don't criticize him or his gun. It maybe all he could or would afford at the time. BE KIND AND TEACH HIM THE GAME... he will up grade as he learns. Besides it is the shooter who breaks the target. Fred

17. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Fred, good response. I shoot a Preazzi and have broken 2 leaf springs in the last 9 or 10 years. I have found the Perazzi to very reliable. I like the gun mainly for ease of trigger changes. Since I shoot releases the P gun is ideal for me. I had a Beretta 682X, it was a fine gun. I have had Ljutics and they are fine guns. I believe most of us shoot what we like and can afford. remember , "It's the Indian, not the arrow". My boy shoots Browning's and they are also fine guns. Wish I could have time to shoot more and could afford more guns.

Charlie

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Charlie,

"I like the gun mainly for ease of trigger changes"

Why is that an advantage?

John C. Saubak

19. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Many thanks for the many excellent responses. If one were to look for a nice used DT-10, have there been any recent modifications or enhancements that are important? One issue that my sporting clays friends tell me about is a problem with the Greener crossbolt locking mechanism...it can and does fail from time to time after what I would consider normal usage...and this doesn't seem to be uncommon. But is there a fix? Has it been fixed? The Perazzi flat springs can be a nuisance, but they can be readily changed...not so with the crossbolt. And what about service when you need it? I've heard some horror stories about Beretta, but some friends have had excellent service recently with good work and quick turnaround. I've got a feeling that there have been some positive changes at Beretta and with the DT-10, but would like to have confirmation of such.

Again, many thanks for all of the thoughtful comments...any further comments from first-hand owners of DT-10's addressing the above issues would be much appreciated.

WNCRob

20. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Rob: I sent you a private message. Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta dt10 opinions

is the beretta dt 10 and the 682 gold e similar