1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Chokes loosening/Teflon tape?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My wife shoots a Beretta 3901 and I purchased two Beretta Victory extended chokes for her gun.

Unlike any other chokes I have seen, they loosen more and more as she shoots a round. Finally, by the third station, she has to tighten them after every shot.

I have used a little choke lube, a lot of lube and, today, no lube. It makes no difference-the chokes loosen every time.

This does not happen with the flush fitting chokes.

I talked to the Beretta Rep at the Dixie and he had no clue as to why.

I am thinking of trying a wrap of teflon tape, but one fellow thought it might melt and, perhaps, seal the choke so I couldn't get it out.

Before I give up on the extended chokes, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to keep them tight, tape or otherwise?

Bob

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

If you have access to a 0-1 mike I would check the o.d. of the threaded part to see if the new chokes may be a little under size, that would explain them not staying tight..

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have used a wrap of teflon tape on the threads of Browning factory Invector chokes and they stay on tight without melting the tape, no problems.

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Same as MikeTMX. No problems with melting and teflon acts like a lubricant. Like oil, a little goes a long way.

5. straightshooter1

Mike Battista also mentioned that Briley Wrench. I am somewhat hesitant to throw good money after bad, though.

And, couldn't find my teflon tape but found some thread seal tape which seems to be the same, so I will try that tomorrow.

Maybe I will run into someone at the Dollar who has one of those wrenches.

Thanks all,

Bob

6. jagrdawger

jagrdawger TS Member

CMD Grease -so;d by someone on TS and Anti-seize for auto parts both work very well. They do not break down easily from heat and are very viscous/sticky. I had chokes that loosened until I used those two products. Anti-seize is hard to get off the hands if you change chokes often by the way.

7. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Bob,

I can answer your question if it's about optima chokes. We met an engineer from Beretta named Sergi at the Grand that was on the design team.

He stated that they wanted the chokes to be "easily removed" and thought he did a great job.

He evidently didn't mind choke checking as part of his pre-shot routine.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

8. straightshooter1

They are the Mobile chokes rather than the Optima.

I use CMD on my Precision Trigger for my Perazzi. I'll give that a try, too.

blkcloud-I don't have that type of device, but I am pretty sure there is something out of sync with these chokes. I bought two, a full and an IM and both loosen. the flush fit don't.

Bob

9. oz

oz Active Member

beretta makes a choke wrench for optima chokes. oz

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Beretta's factory Optima wrench is a joke. Not very effective and mine broke within 6 months. But will say one thing about Beretta had one to me the next day after I called about it. I to now use the tapered Briley. I use Super Lube on my threads and not having any problems.

11. Loyac

Loyac Member

I've used teflon tape on all my MC and Optima chokes for 4 years now... Not a single instance of them melting! And they stay on TIGHT!!! John

12. straightshooter1

We shot 5 rounds of practice handicap today. I put a small amount of CMD on the choke and it worked fairly well. She had to tighten a little bit one or twice each round.

Tomorrow we will try more CMD and see. If that isn't satisfactory, we will go to the teflon tape.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.

Bob

13. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Here's a coupla pics of the best choke tube wrench I've ever used! It expands and has notched teeth for the cut-outs in my tubes! Works better than any others I've tried!

I'd use the teflon tape if mine were working loose!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.