1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta BL3

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldE, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and just starting out today. Would like to get an opinion on a Beretta BL3. What can say about this gun? In getting a used gun waht are the things to check? What are the warning signs as well?

THANKS!

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I just sold my BL3 last year after owning it for 30 years. The only things to look out for are the same for every gun. During the inspection period, shoot it to make sure the barrels are properly converged. Shoot a couple patterns just to check for anomalies. Make sure the lever is too the right. Bluing on the barrels should still be excellent. Bluing on the receiver lightens and turns slightly purple for some reason.

Beretta fixed choke IC barrels have a tiny hot core and a wide fringe. Their Mod and Full fixed chokes behave more normally.

I enjoyed my gun for hunting and an occasional round of skeet. I bought a 20b O/U for the same purpose, and only really needed one gun. So I sold my BL3 for $500. The guy who bought it was a good deal, and loves it. Two years ago Joel Etchen offered me $750 for it as trade in value.

Mine had 26" barrels, because I wanted IC and Mod. If I was doing it over again today, I'd have bought the 28" barrels and lived with the Mod/Full chokes, or had them opened later. The 28" barrels feel much better balanced, and swing more smoothly.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Box lock, imported by Garcia in the 60's, Shell lifter rather than ejectors.

Trap models had fairly high POI.

Good guns for the time. I don't know about any parts headache from the age.

Last year's Blue Book says $550 for a 98% specimen.

HM

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Parts are hard to come by ... I wouldn't make it my main shooter. Bill Malcolm

5. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Thanks for all the inputs.

GoldE

6. ink ball

ink ball Member

I had a 20 gauge BL-3 years ago (field gun). It was choked Mod and Full, but it shot like a rifle out of both barrel...very tight patterns. Good gun.

7. pete55

pete55 TS Member

I bought my BL3 approx. 1970. 12 gauge modified choke/ improved cylinder. I think I paid $175 at Gart Bros. I sold it around 1980 for $350.

A very sweet-pointing gun, but the stock was too short for me. (I had the 26" barrel.) I used it on doves and pheasants. (I tended to shoot high.) On the other hand, my brother brought down Canada Goose on the fly no problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta bl 3
beretta bl-3

beretta bl3

beretta bl3 discussion
beretta bl3 for sale
bl-3 beretta
bl3 barrels
bl3 mod