1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta Auto Shooters .... Thread Size ?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, May 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I want to pick up a bottom tap and nut die to have on hand for any possible future repair of mine or for other shooters shooting 391's that run into a forearm or Mag Tube Cap thread issue. I've been using Super Lube on all my gun threads and hindge points for years and havn't had any issues yet but this is an area I feel is a Beretta weak link. Just trying to cover my a$$. I shoot a few of these autos and have a good tool and spare parts kit. This would be a perfect addition to it. I'm finding this thread to be a Metric M-9 X 1.25 thread can someone confirm this for me. Thanks, Spank.

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

For the one in 100,000 chance that you would ever need it, it would make more sense just to buy another cap and shaft.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I realize the ease of taking apart the end cap have done it on numerous occasions but in all honesty I have 3 Beretta autos and even though all my forend caps come off and on, I will say that all 3 do not have the same feel. I've heard and read about some horror stories about guys and their Berettas in this area and have no intentions of being a statistic. I always add a dap of grease or anti-seize to this area. The grade of these two metals may be different and react to each other and guys who didn't lubricate had binding and gauling. The tap and die seems like a cheap and easy way to chase the threads on occasion and I'm sure I'll run across someone who will have an issue in this area some point. I'll bet the tap and die cost far under the price of the forend cap. Heck, I use my shotguns like a tool and being a mechanic my whole life I'm meticulous in taking care of them and having the right tools to do it. I'm anal I guess.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

See Spanky, your said it yourself, your problem is that you're a mechanic. I'm
    an accountant, If I can't fix it with a pencil sharpener and a stapler it
    doesn't get fixed.

I've had my 391 for 6 years. I have never taken apart the end cap. I squirt it
    with some Break-free once in a while. I do keep some STOS on the shaft, and I
    always loosen the cap when I'm done shooting. Doing just this, I've never had a seizing problem. The horror stories are guys who have left the end cap tightened for weeks in damp or humid conditions.

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Just a heads up. I bought a M9 X 1.25 carbon steel hex die and a high speed steel plug tap at MSC for under $14.00, made no mistake by doing that. I havn't been having any real issues in this area because I break my guns down to case store them and use SuperLube on my threads but just felt that I needed to chase them to clean and possibly restore any slight pull or distortion in the threads. I chased all three mag tube threads and disassembled, cleaned and chased the cap threads. Never had to use a "T" handle or stock flat just chased them by hand. My results were great and I personally feel they mate better than when the guns were new. All caps interchange and feel the same. This in my opinion is the only way to clean this ares. The amount of metalic material that was removed during chasing is not worth mentioning. I expected more even though a problem didn't exist. I just think this is worth having around if you're a 391 shooter. This is by far cheaper than a mag cap or mag tube end or both by far. Just want to pass on my findings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.