1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta ASE90 Problem W/Briley

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by esetter, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esetter

esetter Active Member

I have a Beretta ASE90 Skeet that I sent to Briley for a set of Revolution sub-gauge tubes. The gun has inertia triggers and of course they had to adjust the triggers so the gun would fire with the 410 shells. When the gun came back the first barrel would not fire sometimes (about 5 times a round). The second barrel would always fire but not the first. I tried different shells, closing the gun harder, breaking it open more completely, cleaning the drop out trigger, etc. Finally sent it back to Briley and they worked on it again, returned it and it worked for about a month then started doing the same thing. To make a long story a little shorter I have sent it back six times now and this morning it started doing the same thing again. Does anyone have any ideas about who to send the gun to to get it fixed once and for all? I have no idea what Briley did to the trigger but the gun functions perfectly with my second set of triggers except when using the 410 shells. This is my competition gun and it has been gone most of the last 16 months getting worked on. Any suggestions would be appreciated and please no wise cracks, not in the mood after all of this. This is one beautiful gun that has been messed up by Briley and I don't know where to turn to.

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I can certainly understand your frustration. I probably wouldn't have had the patience to stick with Briley (or ANY vendor) for six different attempts to fix the same problem.

Anyway, have you considered Cole Gunsmithing? They are supposed to be the Beretta experts. I understand that Allem's in PA is very good also.

Good luck. Hope you get it running right very soon.

Easystreet

3. esetter

esetter Active Member

Briley's has been very nice and after the second time paid for the shipping and they assured me they would get it right but, I have now lost faith. I considered Coles, but not sure how any of these places will be adjusting triggers to compensate for the light 410 loads. I would have thought Briley would have been the expert on this, apparently not.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Gerry, sorry to hear of your problem with Briley. I am glad to hear that they stood behind their work and tried to fix your problem 6 times no less, but I am sure you are in a heated state none the less. I too say that maybe its time to let one of the Beretta gunsmith trigger people have a shot at it. Maybe you can talk to one of the tech's at Briley and then call one of tech's at your preferred Barretta smiths and explain the problem with them. Try several of them, and only send your gun when you think one of them will be able to fix the problem. Their must be something unique about the trigger in your gun. But let the smith know if you have the first generation ASE 90 or the second one. I am not sure, but think that their are 2 types, one that will work and line up with the newer DT-10 and the older type that does not. Best of Luck with your problem and hope this might help you out some how. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Send it to Stu Wright and have him convert it to mechanical triggers....problem solved FOREVER. Let's just say that Briley seems to be having some issues lately......
    Ken Rucker

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I might consider having Cole's put mechanical triggers in the gun.

It would solve the problem in an instant.

I suspect that the problem lies in the ASE line of guns... They were the precursor to the DT-10 and were meant to provide the quality of a 'hand made' gun in one actually made on an assembly line. This didn't happen - they ended up being very much a handmade gun.
    The net result of this is that no two are exactly alike - makes something like adjusting the triggers all the harder (yes, I know I have oversimplified the situation).

Good luck

David D

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

Thanks guys. I actually ask Briley about converting to a mechanical trigger and they said it couldn't be done???? They also said The ASE90 trigger is one of the best triggers out there but they are "like a sports car" and hard to adjust. I am going to call Coles tomorrow and see what they say. As for them being one of a kind guns, they certainly are hand made, but I purchased an extra trigger (thank god for that move) and it fit in perfectly to the gun and functions great in every gauge except the 410.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My buddy had the same problem w/ briley converted triggers in his 687EELL. Had to go back 4 or 5 times, but they did FINALLY get it right...

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Stu Wright would not be a good choice for the ASE. Try Ed Anderson in N.Y. at the Beretta Gallery. He is very much into the ASE and SO line of guns and knows his chit.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Briley is very good at some things but not triggers. Had them try to modify a 20 ga Browning OU to work with their 28 and 410 tubes. Sent it back once and thought it had been fixed. Sold it and new owner had same problem.

Had them do a trigger job on a Browning Gold auto. Came back worse than it was when I sent it to them. Had Seminole redo it.

Last set of tubes from Briley had convergence problems with the 28 ga tubes. They finally had to make special eccentric chokes for the top 28 ga tube to correct POI. Got to wonder if the illegal aliens have infiltrated the place.

11. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Let me start by stating I am NOT a gunsmith. I have a 686 in 12 gauge with inertia triggers. I "fixed" the problem myself for about $5.00. If you take the stock of the reciever and look at the trigger you will see a small "tit" on the inertia block itself. I bought a small ($5.00) diamond point grinding bit to fit in my dremel and ground the tit almost off. You will be able to rest the shaft of the dremel on the firing pin spring to steady the grinding bit. You will notice a 2 step notch in the back of the trigger that this "tit" catches to reset the second trigger. By grinding the "tit off you will prevent it from catching the step. The recoil from the shot is what moves the tit past the step in my backyard observations. After completeing the grinding job I removed the barrels from the receiver and washed my receiver in mineral spirits using a flux brush. Then I used my air compressor to blow out the receiver, lubed it and put the stock back on. Now when I use any of my tubes ( 20ga, 28ga, or .410) the guns fires without fail. I performed this same grinding job on my 682 10 years ago and have never had any problems at all. If you remove your stock and look at the action it will be readily apparent what needs to be done to render the inertia block in-operable. Again I am not a gunsmith but this has worked for me on 2 different Beretta shotguns with out a single problem.

12. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Heres an Idea ask briley for a refund on the tubes since you can't use them.
    I think that if they arn't willing to work out the problems or seek help from beretta they will be when you ask for a refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ase90 firing pin

difetti beretta ase90 trap