1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Beretta Al391 Teknys Gold Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ihartm, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ihartm

ihartm TS Member

Has anybody been using the Beretta Al391 Teknys Gold Trap with interchangeable ribs for Trap.
    What is your impression of this gun for singles and doubles.
    Is there enough range of adjustability when changing ribs.
    How does it handle reloads, any problems?
    I.Hartman
  2. 635 G

635 G Active Member

The gun is nothing but a dolled up 391, I had one you will be much better off getting a standard 391 trap, having a person like Tron, Greg Hissem, Country Gentleman put a quality adj comb, 4 way butt plate & a kick-ezz---Its a good gun for singles & caps. If I was comfortable with shooting an auto loader I would still be using mine had 2 391's- Sold the Teknys 18 month's ago & just sold my Devault conversion.

Phil Berkowitz
  3. acss

acss Active Member

to my knowledge- i have never seen the xtra rib they talked about. those original techneys had trouble with the rib "popping"off. beretta wud reangle the back end of the quick attach and that seemed to fix the problem!

if you are intrested in buying a techneys trap- i have a very nice 30" w/ moneymakers adj tall rib, barrel back bored to .740 and a adjustable butt plate, no handling marks and great wood, has 2 pads lop @14 3/8" and 14 3/4"
    recoil is very very low!! and will shoot 7/8 oz lds if intrested -
    i have pictures
    wally riebesell mvalley@rpt.coop 660-744-4115
  4. jm1079

jm1079 Active Member

You probably will be better off buying a used 391 trap with optima barrel and chokes, and having scott hyde put his adjustable comb/recoilabsorbing gizma on your stock. This is exactly what I did and now have the softest shooting trap gun. Total cost to me was $1000.00, a lot less than a teknys trap. FWIW JM
  5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Active Member

I have been shooting a 391 Teknys Gold for 4 years in trap, I shoot 16, HDCP and doubles with it and occasionally win with it in all events. LOP was just right for me and I use the gel tech pad that came on it, no problem. I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through it with vertually no problems.

The factory adjustable comb is fine, have never had a problem with it at all, set it to your liking and tighten the set screws down and away you go.

Mine is capapble of 2 ribs, I only got one with mine and it worked loose,(after a gazzillion rounds) put a little thread lock on the slide channels and let cure, end of problem. Deep clean every 5 to 8000 rounds, it's easy and there is a lot of people on here that can walk you through it the first time.

If you are going to shoot doubles get a 390 carrier installed. Get this from Colegunsmithing.com.

The gun has never failed me in a toonament yet.

Buy one of the Golds and enjoy, beautiful wood, recoil reducer in stock (standard), shim pack (standard) to set cast off or own and pitch, to your liking, set of 5 Optima extended chokes (standard), back bord (standard) plus if you take care of it they hold value very well. Should you need parts they are everywhere and priced right.

JMHO
  6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks TS Member

My wife shoots one for everything, I shoot one for SC and doubles. Set the comb and forget it. I think the hardware is better than most people give it credit. If the LOP is off, send it to Tron.

My wife's rib DID pop off - a lot. I bent the rear tab down a smidge - problem solved.

It is just a pretty 391, but a pretty trap gun is okay....

Very soft, reliable, shooter. Shoots where you point it.

Joe
  7. Fisher

Fisher TS Member

I bought a teknys gold trap for my wife about 14 months ago. I thought it was an o.k. deal at the price I paid. I have shot the gun a little bit for doubles. The adjustable comb is junk in my opinion. Way too much plastic. The wood was pretty good with a lot of figure, but was negated when I had a carbon-fiber stock and forearm with a soft touch put on. We have not had a problem with the rib coming off, however it does slide forward about an eighth of an inch, if pushed by hand. I don't much care for this,but can live with it. If I had it to do all over again,( and I have), I agree with the gentleman above that I would buy a standard Urika trap, or Urika 2, and then retro fit it with the composite stock with soft touch. You basically will get a lot more bang for your buck. I like the rib on the Urika a lot better too. Both guns have performed flawlessly, except when I had a dumbs####t attack and did not clean the gas cylinder on my wifes gun until it pretty much Quit. Chock this up to user error. Hope this helps. J. Webb.
  8. deadeye45

deadeye45 Member

Have one and upgrading to a perazzi. Shot all three, sgls, hdcp and doubles. Have won my share. Shot several rounds through it and yes the rib did pop off but Beretta was very helpful, fixed returned promptly. No more problems. Clean it, and it works. 30", OPTIMA with all the parts there including a front cap mercury recoil reducer. I used the mercury reducer to make the gun more barrel heavy but to each his own. No marks of any kind on the wood, small blemish on the right side of receiver. $1,275 plus shipping. Pictures on request. larryatpf@yahoo.com larry bledsoe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.