1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Target...good /bad?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Jan 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Howdy Gents..

A friend at the Club loaned me a Beretta AL391 Teknys Gold Target to try out a few days. I have been having trouble finding a gun I can use at yardage...I have a Browning XT that I hit pretty good with ...but the thing really chews up my my face after a while.

When I tried the Teknys I ran 17-18 or so on the 27 yard line before I missed 3 in a row on station one. That's pretty good for me.. especially since the gun isn't fitted to me ...and It was the first time I ever shot a Teknys.

In order to really make one like it comfortable I would need to shorten the LOP an inch or so and install an adjustable pad on it and drop it down some.

So before I consider buying a Teknys, altering it, and trying to learn how to be consistant with it... ...I thought I would see if I could get a little input from the forum.

Please tell me what you guys think of the Teknys Gold Target for yardage.

Good, bad ...or indifferent??

Like this one..

http://www.berettausa.com/products/al391-teknys-gld-tgt12/30/obs/

Best regards..Stan

2. StansCustoms

I don't think so...the Teknys has an adjustable comb...two iterchangable ribs and supposedly recoils less.

I can say ,the recoil on the one I shot was really light.

Anyone else...???

Thanks...Stan

3. StansCustoms

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I think the 391 is the best of the best regarding autos. That said, I always liked setting them up with either a 303 or 390 trigger with a trigger job done by either Cole's or Angleport. Just "shoot it wet" with Breakfree CLP, use clean burning ammo and you have yourself a very reliable target crusher.

5. Tom Gonos

Tom Gonos Member

Sent you pm

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I had one and it was a very good gun.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A friend of mine swears by the teknys. a great gun that he shoots very well at sporting clays and trap. I don't think he changes anything going fron one to the other [clays/trap]. Bill

8. Gust

Gust TS Member

I've been shooting a teknys gold 32" trap since may 2005. broke connector rod one time 3 years ago. the trigger assembly could use a rebuild, it fails to feed 2nd shot occasionally. other than one part in almost 8 years,40,000 rounds, it still shoots as good as new.
    I have the recoil reducer in the stock with annother 8oz weight behind it,and a 10 oz mercury recoil cap on the forend. It doesn't recoil much.
    It's been a good gun for me.
    Paul

9. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

originally, the tecknys series had rib issues when they first came out, where the intention was to have change out capability for differant POI- beretta fixed the rib problem with a change in angle on rear post-(personally i think this really dampened their appeal as it was a hassle sending back for warranty))-- the colored inserts have been known to fall out and the silver finish has freckeled on some receivers-- yes its a low recoil gun and great looking---the shell lft carrier is the flaw on all 391s for flipping second shell up! tron and others have devised a bending method that really works -- its interesting how some post "had" a 391 tecknys"???? how can you beat a great looking gun w/ low recoil, and be able to change out shims in stock to get proper fit!!! most gun smiths carry a few parts and they are easy to work on -- moderately priced

10. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a Teknys with a 28 inch Moneymaker bigbore barrel and when I hit a target there is a flash of light then a very dark black cloud.

My Squad mates say if they look close there is rain coming from under the cloud.

I love the gun have several hi end guns and this is all the gun I really need I just like shooting all types of guns

Buddy

11. StansCustoms

Thats something else that I failed to mention...other than it was easy to shoot.

I have several Trap guns...all Browning Bt's Xt, Citoris, and BT Plus guns....but for some reason (which just may be that I hit with the core of the shot better on this gun but I don't think so).

AT the 27, the Tekneys "powdered" nearly every target I shot at and hit (well "nearly" every one..lol). I don't believe I have every shot anything from the 27 that held the pattern so well and broke the targets so hard...ever!!

Maybe I was just having a better than usual day... or maybe the gun has a phenominal pattern..? ...regardless, I was pleasantly surprised to say the least!!

Best ..Stan

12. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

I have a Teknys 1 in 300 with a 32 inch optima barrel and a stock that has the HPI recoil system where the comb does not move against the cheek like the Softouch system. The finish is the Beretta "stone coat" which does not flake off. I would heartily suggest that this may be the better model for you than the Gold Target. PM me if you have any questions. JM

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I prefer the Urika model to the Teknys. No cosmetic issues or ribs falling off, or glare from the receiver. Less expensive, too.

14. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I bought a Teknys Gold Sporting to shoot skeet and sporting, since have sold all my trap guns and use it for everything. My trap scores have gone up and only need to bring one gun eerywhere.

15. smilyb

smilyb Member

I have one I was looking at how to list . Like new condition shot less than 500 times.
    Will take $1800 plus shipping. I shoot sub gauge skeet and was wanting to upgrade my o/u.
    Can email pics

16. letzc1

letzc1 TS Member

I purchased one new a few years ago. As far as autoloaders go, it is a great gun. It cycles any shell I put in it. I have seen a few with the ceramic inlay popped out. It is a very well made gun and I say that as a former toolmaker. I do not like the comb adjustment system. It is too complex. The chokes are very nice in that they have a long gradual taper section. Mine is a trap model and the barrel is too long for me.
    I found a 28 inch barrel for it, have cut the stock installed a gooey pad and use it as my skeet gun and my all around traveling gun when I travel out of state on business. It is much more fun to use now. Very good design but I was never happy with it for trap.
    I would never consider anything but a break open gun for trap again.

17. Lou Tenant

Lou Tenant Active Member

My wife has a Urika and she prefers it over her 682Ge. I put a 30" trap barrel and an adj stock on it . She's in the money almost every week at the Annie's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
al391 teknys

beretta 391 teknys

beretta 391 teknys review
beretta al391 teknys
beretta al391 teknys review
beretta teknys

beretta teknys gold

beretta teknys gold sporting