1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

beretta AL390 opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by edthearcher, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

local gander mountian has a beretta AL390 mallard series 4 sale. opinions good or bad wanted wont use it for trap or skeet probely hunting thanks ed ackley

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The 390's are very good guns. They are great for target shooting or hunting. Personally, I like the squared off receiver better than the rounded receiver of the Sporting series.

Easystreet

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I like them the best of all teh Beretta's although I never saw any big improvement over the 303's. It seems to me that Beretta is good at reinventing something every few years that did not really need re-inventing. Jeff

4. edthearcher

edthearcher Member

thanks guys ED

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

the 390 does a little better job at bleeding off some excess gas over the 303 but both are the best autos Beretta ever built. With the "newest" autos they have taken steps backwards in many opinions and that includes mine. Just hard to find an auto that is more durable and has as many aftermarket items available. Been shooting a 303 hunting and in competeion for over 20 years. Never had one that was wore out to the point it could not be fixed either.

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

its funny how some models catch on or hold value!- the 390 round back held way better value than the sqd off for some reason---personally, i have not seen too many longterm winners with a sqd version--just an observation!!!-- sqd back(hump) tend to be $150-200 less even when new, i do remember?

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I seem to remember that the mallard was the square backed receiver and was quite a bit lighter than the 390ST's.

8. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

It's a field gun, thin rib and smaller stock and probably a 28in barrel...GOOD LUCM

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I have two 390's for trap - HOWEVER, they are Super Traps and designated accordingly. There were two versions of the 390 Trap, a "TRAP" and a "SUPER TRAP," and a 28" and 30" barrel. The ST was ported, both had screw-in tubes and both are designated on the trigger guard. The ST was way overpriced at $1200 retail. I didn't figure it was worth more that a Remington 1100 Trap at about $800 then.

The field version (square back) operates a bit differently than that trap version too, in terms of unloading, if I remember correctly. I bought a square back, built it up for birds, but got rid of it due to its inability to hold the action open without ejecting a shell from the magazine tube.

If you want to shoot trap with a 390, I would NOT shoot the field version, unless you can get a parallel stock or an adjustable trap stock.

I don't shoot mine for trap, but installed synthetic field stocks and then fiberglassed them to be Monte Carlos as in a trap stock. In fact, many of our pheasant hunting gang did the same thing. We can't shoot a field gun for birds, because we shot trap for so long. Additionally, I normally shoot Remington Nitro Mags in the gun and even with its aluminum receiver, I have NEVER, EVER had one single problem.

A field gun's butt-stock's dimensions are absolutely counter to what a trap stock is.

IMHO.

Whiz

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Will the pheasants allow you to pre-mount and call "PULL" before flushing? ;-)

Easystreet

11. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Easy, only if you are, shooting a 390......GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 390 opinion
beretta 390 opinions
beretta 390 sporting opinion
beretta 390 square vs round

beretta al 390 series