1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??? Beretta AL 391 Urika Trap Users ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Spanky, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I use a Beretta AL 391 Urika Trap with Extended Optima Chokes as a back up gun and when my shoulder bothers me (rotator cuff/arthritis issue). I've had no issues with this gun, cycles shell, fits me perfectly, crushes targets and would highly recommend one to someone if this is what they might be after.

My problem is very slight, almost not a problem. After a round of trap my extended tube will loosen slightly. Not that much, less than one thread revolution. It's become a force of habit to just reach out there and snug it up after each round and I do it almost without even thinking about it. I'm using a factory Imp. Mod. and Full it does it with both. I'm thinking about ordering a Beretta factory or Briley Lt. Full. Curious if an aftermarket tube may fit better. And I refuse to crank them down excessivly with the tube wrench.

Have any of you guys experienced this?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

They all do that, and with all brands of choke tubes. Most loosen more than yours. If you plan to use the same tube all the time, there are methods of keeping them more secure. Teflon tape used to seal leaks in plumbing seems to work. Otherwise, just tighten them by hand as often as you need to. We all do that without even thinking about it.
    Absolutely I don't recommend cranking them down excessively as you could damage the threads.

3. Southern Gent

Southern Gent TS Member

What Dick said. I've got three different brands of extended chokes, and they all do that to some degree. Just get in the habit of giving them a twist between stations.

Instead of tape, I use some grease, and that seems to help, but I don't know there's any advantage one way or another.

What I've never figured out is where the torque comes from to loosen them? Why doesn't it tighten them up? Oh Well.

4. Loyac

Loyac Member

The Briley extended chokes seem to work best for me. I never had this problem with my 390. The MC chokes never seem to come loose. John

5. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Guys I'll give the Grease and Teflon Tape a try. I've tried a small bit of a Never-Seize, a Kenamatal type that you would use on machining tools, this worked only ever so slightly. But, I didn't over do it. I think I'll try some Super Lube next than the teflon tape. I have a feeling the teflon tape will do the trick. I know I just can't over do it. Those threads are mighty fine. The positive thing is I don't pull chokes in and out of this all that much. I have my heart set on trying a lt. full and using it for 16 yd. and international targets. I leaning toward a Briley to see if the threads even stay slightly better. Thanks for the response and help, good shooting.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I found if I do not lube the threads at all, they tighten up and do not move after a few hundred targets. Stick with full or light full and leave it in.

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Heck ... mine loosened up once and fell out and since it didn't change my shooting I never put it back in again ... seriously though ... put it in and then snug it up and snug it again, for safe mental sake after 5 or 10 shots and that should do it.

If you need to use Teflon tape or loctite or some other type of solution you have more problems than just a loose choke. In all the shotguns I own the only time a choke tube loosens up is when all I do is put it in finger tight. I have never had one loosen up when I snug it with the choke tool.

8. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I'm not doing the tube wrench. I'll try a type of Briley Lt. Full and see how it reacts before I do anything different than what I'm doing. The knurling on the Brileys is far more superior to the grip on the Beretta extended Optimax. I thought it was just mine doing it, sorry to see it is happening to others. But, all in all I'm very satisfied with this gun. It is a pleasure to shoot when my shoulder is bothering me.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Here's another useful little trick. Shoot the 391 BEFORE your shoulder starts to bother you.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My shoulder issue has nothing to do with shooting. It bugs me more in winter than the summer. I've kicked around the idea of shooting it as my main trap gun. I just sent away for a new style 391 T&S shellcatcher. Old style is o.k., just like the ease of new design. Talked with Keith out a T&S about his new design. He's a great guy to talk trapshooting with. I have to add the Beretta weight balance system, maybe Briley system to get a bit more fore weight to the gun. Considerably lighter than the Browning I normally shoot.

But, as posted above I would highly recommend the 391 trap if someone is looking for an autoloader for trap shooting. I have not had a firing, feeding or quality issue yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.