1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta A303 20ga sprtr -story, info request

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RayReys, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RayReys

RayReys Member

So, took care of some finances, and let a few guns go in the process. But then I went ahead and got something I could not pass up on...

Sometime last year there was a lady that consigned a very large number of firearms (of all sorts, her husband's estate) at the local gun store chain...mostly handguns, a few rifles, and a shotgun or two (i didn't know that part until later). I ended up with a decent S&W 25-5 (which to this day I have not shot!)...and most of her consigment was bought out as the weeks went on.

Not too long after the main consignment batch, a nice looking A303 popped up in the back corner, with a $900 price tag. Thought it was a 12, but closer inspection showed it to be a 20. I didn't need another 20, and the price was kind of high for (what I assumed incorrectly) to be a field grade gun.

Now fast forward to 11 days ago. Came in for some cleaning patches and decided to take a peek at the 303, since I had seen the price drop by 50 bucks on the website.

Lo and behold, a large sharpie had been through the old, and reduced, price, with a new amount on there. Apparently (from what the staff told me) the woman who consigned it had been by to collect the gun, as it had not gained any interest in the near year it was there. She had said she thought it was a 'special' model. One of the staff members said to drop the price, and she agreed. Turns out that this was part of the same collection I had gotten my Smith from...

I asked to (finally) handle it. It felt light, slim, just right. Then I noticed details; the drop at comb felt a little different, and that I was stacking the mid-bead for a nice fig 8. The rib seemed to be a tiny bit wider.

The two employees I was talking to were telling me I should get it...

The barrel was chambered for 2 3/4" shells only...and it said Sporting on the side...

I looked a bit online to try and find some info after I left...found only tidbits, but already knew I had to have it. Went back the next morning right when they opened.

I picked it up today (waiting period) and ran two boxes through it on the trap field...24, 23 (I'll blame the wind and setting sun).

Anyways, thought I'd share...seemed like a good catch, and was wondering if any of the Beretta Semi gurus or others had any info on the history or background of these little 'sporting' models. Found some old info on here and know that there's one or two folk that have them, so any input is appreciated:)

The store had rated it at 95%...it looks like it was barely shot, there's one nick on the pad and another on the stock, some other little scratches, but it's in pretty good condition overall. I got what seems to be a good deal on it, and it's definitely a keeper :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Sold the last one I had on Gunbroker for a little over $1,300 last year.

3. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

hey claybrdr-- let me tell you how that $1300 happened--- now i know it takes two bidders to get to a purchase px-- originally , i thot your 20ga was a field model- so i put in a maximum bid of $580 and wud watch it for a few days ( if i got busy and forgot to check the auction, i felt the $580 was an ok bid for a field model) --the bids started and i kept getting notices emailed that my proxy bid was being used up-- i really wasnt paying attention , until i got a notice of a $920 bid??!! late in the evening i said to myself--how cud this be , condsidering my original bid wasnt raised???---WELL- i had typed in $58000 instead of $580!!!! for some odd reason, i got worried, until i realized it takes two to bid---by the time i got it stopped ,my bid was $1299---i prayed someone to bid one more time , which happened!!! then i got upset that i didnt get it--it was an emmotional day!!!! i've owned 100s of 303s and maybe only 3 or 4 20ga sport in various conditions-- there were so few mfg & sold when they came out, that good ones are at a premium to the cult followers

4. claybrdr

Thanks for that help, Wally!

It was a true Sporting model not a field and I have had several (4-5) over the years. Beretta dumped a couple hundred at one time after the switch to 390s and I bought a couple for around $400 or less.

Funny thing is I posted it here for $850 and no one bit. Edward said it was too low and I guess he was right!

5. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Was the 303 20 ga sporting built on the 12 gauge frame or a 20 gauge frame?

Greg

6. claybrdr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.