1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 96D. Looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Big Al 29, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Double action, 40sw.

Any reviews or comparison with others in the same price range?

Any thought about Double action vs single action? I like the fact I don't have to decock. I am not a pistol expert but I like the built in safety feature of a wheel gun built with 10 shots.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Very few people like them, because of this the resale is low and you can pick them up cheap.

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Why don't people like them?

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

The 96D has two strikes against it. First it is pretty much a 92 9mm with a couple of changes and rebarreled into 40 SW, most all pistols are thought to be better in their original form and caliber. The double action only sounds good on paper and is even advertised as being like a double action revolver. The problem is the action is nothing like a good double action SW revolver most people relate to, it's heavy and unpredictable compared to a revolver. It also has a long reset so fast shooting is much more difficult with the double action only auto's. Many people like the option of a single action trigger for difficult shots which you don't have with the 96d. Not to say it wouldn't make a decent cheap to buy pistol to keep for protection, but it will require a lot more practice to shoot accurately and fast.

A state agency I'm familar with had a lot of problems getting their people qualified with a DAO auto's and ditched them for Glocks. This mirrors my experience as a firearms instructor.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The folks above have hit the 96 on the money. Get a Glock or Ruger SR40. The trigger is the pits for defensive shooting, and accurate, rapid double taps are simply not going to happen.

The Glock is hard to beat, but the Ruger is less money, is of domestic make, and is going to give Glock indigestion.

Going to the 40 for a defensive arm is a good move. Smaller than 45 Autos, and about the same power, cheaper to shoot.

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

I have a 96FS as a duty gun and find it extremely adequate for my purposes. I qualified with it and have had no trouble with it whatsoever. I would recommend it over the 96D, but it will cost you more money.

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

Look at the XD too.

Don Verna

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have had less than stellar results trying to sell the XD in my area. If I can't sell it, I don't stock it, and don't push it. I personally think it is a downgrade from a Glock. Worse trigger, fewer accessories, more expensive mags.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.