1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 687 will not fire 2nd barrel Help Pls.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Frank C, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

My Beretta 687 must have a broken inertia spring, it will fire either top or bottom by moving the selector, but will not reset to fire the second. I have it apart and can see a very small spring which appears to be "doing nothing" way down inside....But it is not apparent how to remove it......advice wanted before I dig in....Frank C.

Is is a do it yourself job?

2. Frank C

The Pin that holds the "assembly" slips out, how to remove the spring noted by the tweezers??.....

3. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Frank, you tweezers are on the hammer (or main) springs. Although the hammer is down, that spring is still under compression. To remove, you must grasp strut (and further compress the spring) then you can move it out. But to your issue, you have the butt stock off and can now observe what happens. cock the gun, drop the hammer and now use a rubber or leather mallet to simulate recoil and rap the back of the receiver. You should be able to observe the malfunction.

4. fracdog

fracdog TS Member

watched james flynn replace mine,I would not try myself, but thats me. GOOD LUCK.

5. Frank C

Gary, after I took the picture I reached in and plucked out the 2 pieces of the broken spring, but I cannot get the inertia block lever out. I will have to carefully try and remove the main spring, then I can easily lift out the block....

6. Frank C

Thanks Gary, a pair of snap ring pliers was all that was necessary to remove the main spring....now for a spring.....

Fracdoc, it wasn't so hard.....

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Coles gunsmithing in Maine has what you need

8. Frank C

Thanks

9. RAScott

RAScott Member

coles has them for around 4.00 each you may want to get 2 or 3 same shipping . maybe "NINO" has something HUH FRANK?

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use the 'lost toothpick' method for putting this little gem back into place. That is place the inertia spring into the recess of the inertia stirrup and jam the tip of a tooth pick in the retaining pin hole and break it off below the surface of the inertia stirrup. Install this sub assembly in the gun (I find it easier to do with the safety/bbl selector out) and drive the tooth pick out with the retaining pin. Reinstall the safety/selector and check the operation of the inertia system. It should remain under tension in a full forward position and you will be able to see the sear resetting when you bring the inertia hammer back. Reinstall the hammer, hammer spring and stock and go try it out.

As other pointed out, this isn't as easy as replacing the firing pin in an 870. Patience is a virtue as is good lighting and magnifying glasses.

11. Frank C

Parts are on order.......fix by the weekend thanks for all the info...

12. Frank C

Wolfram, I spoke with Ed Haley aka Tammers and taking his advice I used what I now call the "toothpick and dental floss" technique, the 1/4 inch piece of toothpick holds the spring in place in the inertia block and a loop of floss is used to lift up the tab end of the spring so it will lay backwards towards the rear of the gun, gentle pressure on the floss will lift the spring/tab and the inertia block falls easily into place, then just easily push out the toothpick with the pin and cut and slide out the floss.......10 minutes and good as new!!! Thanks to ALL for the advice, the floss is the key to tensioning the spring! Frank

Mr. Lester thanked this.
  13. RAScott

RAScott Member

I wish i knew that a few weeks back, sounds like good as new.

14. Frank C

Cactus Bob, I will fix your 687 at the cut rate price when yours breaks next yr.....

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

hey hey hey. how fast are you at it now and was it difficult to do?

16. Frank C

20 minutes......you supply the dental floss........unwaxed, unflavored....

17. RAScott

RAScott Member

will do, i dont shoot as much as you since i spread it out over 3-4 guns all for the same events. so by my calculations it should break in 4-5 years.

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The dental floss trick sounds like a winner. I'll give it a try on my next overhaul. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 687 not firing second barrel

beretta 687 top barrel not firing

my baretta does not fire second barrel