1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 687 EELL jammed!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Marplot, Sep 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Today I was shooting 5 stand clays with my recently bought 687 EELL. It came with a 28" Optima barrel, so I had a 32" Optima barrel fitted by Rich Cole. The gun is in pristine condition. Looked brand new, almost unfired. Was eager to try it out. Had not fired it before.

Had shot 19 rounds when the second barrel would not fire, and the lever would not open it. Completely jammed and a live round in the lower barrel. I wondered if Rich had my tolerances too tight and when the gun heated up, it froze. But subsequent events seemed to disprove that theory.

I pushed the lever as hard as I dared. Still jammed. The trigger would not pull to fire the second round. I put the gun on "safe," and sat down wondering how I was going to unjam it. I was about 75 miles from home.

I noticed the barrel selector switch was stuck between the one dot and the two dot positions. Would not select either side. Finally I got a small piece of brass and a brass hammer and tapped it until it slid over to the two dot position. The release lever was still jammed. Could not open the gun.

I had the gun pointed downrange since it did have a live round still in it. I pulled the trigger for the umpteenth time and it discharged. The other shooters were taking a break while I tried to unjam my gun.

Of course everyone jumped, since they had taken their "ears" out. I apologized. After firing, the lever finally moved, the gun opened and seemed fine.

I was concerned that this might happen again and put the gun away, shooting my usual gun.

I would like to know if anyone has had, or knows someone who has had a similar problem? It seems that the barrel selector switch is somehow related to the jam. What should I do? I have dry fired it several times and can not make it repeat the problem condition.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You may have inadvertently hit the selector with your thumb. Bill Malcolm

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

PS: I suggest you get the little screw and put it in so you can't change the barrel selector. Bill Malcolm

4. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Thanks, Bill. One of the things that I particulaly like is the barrel selector, so I really don't want to disable this. It is quite possible that I hit the selector with my thumb while shootiong.

I will certainly be more careful about that. As I mentioned this is a new gun to me. But I want to know that IF I do hit the selector and get it in mid-position, could that cause the release lever to jam? Or could there be some internal problem that I should be getting fixed?

I have two other o/u Berettas. A sporter and a Gold EL, so I am familiar with the breed. I have found them to be exceptionally reliable and very intuitive to shoot. Totally problem-free.

5. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

since your barrel selector also serves as your safety, could the safety have gotten jammed (granted it moves back to go into the safety mode)?

d

6. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

No, the safety was still working. Just couldn't fire or open the gun. I hope it was a one-time malfunction. I have tried to make it happen again (dry firing with snap caps) and was not successful.

It is possible that I slid the selector sideways with my thumb when firing and several unusual events happened at the same time. Will work on getting my hold better.

Was shooting steel shot in 7/8oz loads. Did not really like this load, but the 5 stand owner required it over his lake.

I feel better with 1 oz lead. So with the combination of 7/8 oz steel and a jam, I feel that I never really got to know this gun! Well, there is plenty of time. I wish it would either be somehow repeatable (where I could get it fixed) or just plain not happen again!

I guess I'll take it to an SC range and try it again. This is frustrating. It is a beautiful gun and points very well.

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Did you tried to dry fire with the selector in the middle? My 20ga EL will not fire the second barrel like this.

Take the stock off, I know it's more work with the side plates, but this will let you see what happen when the selector is in the middle.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Marplot, I currently have my 687 apart, I am thinking that IF the lever wouldn't open, ie Lever locked, it had nothing to do with the selector switch, there is no interconnect that i can see..... more inclined to pull the stock off and see if you have some "debris" that may have locked the Cam so that the lever could not be operated.....and eventually it moved so that it could be opened. lay some paper towels on the table so when the stock comes off, you'll see any pieces that may be broken and floating around...

9. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Excellent suggestions. I'll pull the stock (over paper towels) and see if anything drops out.

I am also thinking about calling Rich Cole and ask his opinion. I consider him one of the very best Beretta guys in the USA.

Will let you knwo what I find out. That the selector switch and the release lever are not connected leads me to think that something else is afoot. I have some very good gun screwdrivers and will take this down for a look.

Thanks again,
    Bill

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Bill. to pull the stock all you will need is the long Allen Wrench that came with the gun! have a look at the bottom of the release lever, I had the cam crack, and as I was tazking it apart, it eventually cracked in two. Is the release lever stiff when the gun is closed? mine closed and locked up ok, but there was play in the lever which was the crack opening and closing....I bet you got a piece of something floating around in there. After having mine apart and studying it, I cannot imagine any circumstance that would lock up the gun, except a foreign object.

11. Marplot

Marplot TS Member

Have shot this a LOT and never had another issue of any kind. I think that I must have hit the selector/safety. I have been more careful since then.

12. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

You need more than a stock wrench to pull the stock on a 687 EELL...the side plate screws take a very special thin bladed screw driver and the screw on the left is connected to the screw on the right...can't recall the name of this type of screw arrangement...so you need two screwdrivers and use them simultaneously to remove the side plates in order to remove the stock. Nice guns, but you gotta be careful with the mechanics of them. Best left to a good gunsmith. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 687 false side plates
beretta 687 problems
beretta 687 side plates
beretta eell wont fire second barrell
beretta shotgun stiff top lever

can u shoot steel shot out of a beretta 687

removing stock from beretta 687eell
safety on beretta 687 noy releasing