1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 687 EELL Barrel work?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin77, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

I have an as new, maybe unfired 687 EELL Trap with mono barrel with Mobile chokes....the gun is from the early 1990s...I would prefer to have the newer Evolution Optima barrel, but may look into having this barrel modified for softer shooting, if in fact there is a difference....any ideas if there is actually any improvement in modifying or getting the newer barrels...Thanks

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

IMHO if you can tell the difference between shooting the two, your more sensitive than I am. Don't get caught up in the barrel mod game. Spend your money on ammo.

3. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Yeah....I think you are most likely correct...Thanks

4. mflora

mflora Member

I also have a mint 1989 687EELL top single which I recently started shooting. Factory original barrel w/ tight bore, short forcing cone and .042 choke. Fits well but it does seem to kick pretty good. I am thinking about letting Briley lengthen the forcing cone and open up the choke a bit. I am curious to what others have to say in your thread. Beautiful guns though.
    Mark

5. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

Mine does have the Mobile choke tubes, and I shoot 1oz loads so hopefully won't be too harsh...you are correct...beautiful gun.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Don't do anything to the barrels. Sell then and get the Optima barrels from Joel Etchen. Just it fitted like any other barrel add to any gun.
    http://www.joeletchenguns.com/berettau.htm

7. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

As has been mentioned, spend your money on targets and birds. Leave the barrel voodoo to the witch doctors and keep that beautiful gun unmolested.

8. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

backboring is good to remove bore pitting or tighten fixed choke guns.
    add weight/adjustable pad to the gun and reload softer shells/wear padded vest.

9. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Really - just like most said. There is NO empirical/objective evidence of any kind that supports the bbl mod big bore peoples' claims. I confess that in my shotgun youth I fell for the hype and had a couple done. What a waste of $.

Bigger bores, modded or factory, do nothing better, 'cept the seller's bottom line.

10. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I had a 870 factory trap mod barrel I bought to put my dads gun back in operation after he died,It had recoil I sent the barrel to Tom Wilkenson he back bored it it originaly was like 727 he went to 746 and the choke was 31000ths it really tammed the gun down and the barrel boils targets from 16 and 27yds,it worked for me I shoot a silver seitz I shoot the 870 once in a while because it was my Dads gun and he introduced me to clay target shooting,Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting trap with beretta 687 eell