1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 687 double release Q/problem/whatever

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ron(Oh), May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

I have a Beretta 687 with a double realease as the title says, my problem is setting the trigger for the second bird in doubles.
    First of all let me say I also have a Remington 3200 with a double release and don't have this problem.
    Apparently I'm not releasing the trigger far enough to set the second trigger.
    Seems like there's more travel with the 687 than the 3200.
    I did switch over to mechanical triggers so I know it's not the shells being to light. Sometimes it does set properly.
    Q. Can anything be done to help, heavier return spring, shorten travel??????
    Ron

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The amount of "travel" is also determined by how the release parts were fitted. I have Allem Roller Releases in my 687 and although I've only shot doubles with the gun at Allem's trap field when I picked it up, I had no problem with setting the second trigger.

Ed

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ron,

A heavier return spring might help the situation, but I think that the trigger needs an adjustment. Also, you need to get used to fully releasing the trigger before pulling (setting) it for the second shot.

Easystreet

4. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Pat,
    I did try that and didn't seem to make any differance.....Ron

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Who made the double release?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

RON I HAVE A SPEARS DOUBLE REALEASE IN MY 687 NO PROBLEMS

7. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Skeets did the triggers.
    I imagine he will take care of anything I need done. I just didn't want to let go of my gun that long right now.
    Going to Morengo for a couple shoots and hoping any gunsmith could do something simple and while I'm there or within a few hours.

8. Easystreet

Ron,

I'm inclined to think that it is shooter error. While a stronger return spring may help some, it is still up to you to fully release the trigger before trying to pull it again.

You are TRAPPING the trigger, just like newbies often do when they first start shooting an over/under shotgun. Even though the first barrel has fired, the trigger MUST be FULLY released before it can be pulled again.

The next time this problem happens, just STOP immediately. Then, slowly release the trigger fully. Then pull it again, and then release it. If the gun fires this time, it was because of shooter error, i.e. you didn't release the trigger fully the first time.

Easystreet

9. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Easy street,
    I'm half inclined to agree with you but I don't EVER! EVER! Have this problem and never have had with my Remington 3200 also a double release.

10. Easystreet

Ron,

Let some other shooter who shoots a double release trigger all the time shoot the gun for awhile. If he has problems with it, then perhaps it is the gun. OTOH, if he has NO problems with your Beretta, then perhaps it's your shooting technique that needs some adjustment.

Easystreet

11. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Ron bring it down to Mid State Gun Club Sunday and I will take a look at it for you.
    Don

12. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Don, Thanks for the offer but can't make it this weekend.
    Easystreet has a good idea on another shooter trying.

13. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Actually let me rephrase my question.
    Is there anything that can be done to the gun to merge with my movements or lack of. Or do I have to adapt to the gun?

14. trapat

trapat TS Member

Ron, I had what may have been the same problem with my 682 Gold E. Try moving the trigger to it's rearmost position. That helped me. Pat Christopher

15. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Pat,
    I tried that the first time I shot it and had the problem. Didn't change anything. Seems like some posts it works correctly more than others

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 687 problems

beretta 687 release trigger

beretta 687 trigger issues

beretta shotgun 687 doubles