1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 687 Break lever issue??? help please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have an issue with my 687, the break open lever is "loose" ie can be pushed over to the left of center when the gun is closed. The gun closes tight but the lever, as compared to a buddies gun is loose, maybe loose is the wrong word, more like it can move when pushed!

I slipped off the stock and see that there is a roll pin that is raised above the surface very slightly on the right side, I cannot tell from schematics what the reason is for the pin and what the correct position is of the pin. from the left side, I can see in the hole on the left side and there appears to be "part" in the way so that the roll pin cannot be driven through?? Any ideas ?? Pics speak for themselves....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Frank C

Damn, further review shows that the open lever is cracked underneath...

3. Frank C

You can see the cracked ring.....looks like a major job to replace....probably more than I want to try....where to send it??
    [​IMG]

4. Over-the-Hill

Over-the-Hill Member

I just had to have a broken one replaced. I have a 2 year old 682 Gold E. It's the top lever cam (dog), depending on who you talk to. Took about 45 mins and was charged $80. I watched it being done and it's not something that I would try to replace myself. The gunsmith said he had never seen it happen before. Now there are two. Might be a bad batch of parts.
    Good Luck,
    OtH

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Frank take it to Cole in Maine. I would call him first and find out about turn around time. I had mine done over by him(Broken hammer)and told him to go right through the receiver while he had it.

Never regretted it gun was as tight as new that was five years ago(didn't even realize it was that long ago)have had no trouble since. Turn around was just over a week he is also factory trained.

BTW you can PM me or email me for any further information I will be glad to furnish any that I have

Bob Lawless

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Bill, as a the owner of two 687 SPIIs like Frank's and a promoter of those guns, is there anything we 68x owners can do to prevent that from happening? Lubricating the lever pivot area, perhaps?

When I saw Frank's initial post, I thought that was a weird fluke thing to have happen but now I see Bill has experience with this failure. I know of perhaps a dozen of those JEG specials and a bunch of 682s around here and so far, so good.

Frank, what is your gun's serial number? Please PM that to me if you don't want to post it.

Ed

7. Frank C

Since I live in MAss I WOULD shoot up to MAine, drop it at Coles, go have a Lobster and come home, BUT Coles will NOT work on a gun with a release trigger, next choice?? ED, check your PM's in a few minutes.

8. Frank C

pull the trigger plate out??

9. rmccartyjr

rmccartyjr TS Member

the nut under the lever fell off in mine during a shoot. took it 2 beretta @ the grand they wanted 2 charge me and acted like asses as normal gun had less than 3000 rounds threw it i have 575 je

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I think that the problem is the same as what happens to the Perazzis, Rem 90-ts, and BT-99s. When the locking bolt (locking pins on the Berettas)starts to slip from the bbl during a shot, this reverse action but considerable pressure on these pieces, eventually leading them to break. In the case of the Perazzis, the little tit on the top lever breaks.

When you have the new part replaced, have the gunsmith check the locking bolt to be sure it's fitting properly.

Doug Braker

11. Frank C

Doug, How is there pressure on the locking pins? Is it the lock up that is in question, or the fit of the pins through the receiver? As for the pins, they are not worn, and the gun is tight when closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta break action loose