1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 686 silver pigeon firing problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HDR, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HDR

HDR TS Member

I have a 686 beretta silver pigeon and i think the firing pin needs replaced, i would say about 3 out of 25 times the firing pin just barely dents the primer. I can open the chamber close it and it will fire the same shell. No problem. Does anyone know what might be the issue? And what might be the fix and any referencees to of a gunsmith to send it to would be greatly appreciated.

2. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

Need a new hammer spring. They are about $35 from Coles, for the whole assembly. Or you could just buy the spring ($5) and Guide Nut ($6) if you want to take the whole assembly apart and just replace the spring.

Had the exact same problem, the hammer spring cured it.

The spring needs adjustment when installing. On the back portion of the spring guide, you will see the hammer spring guide nut, it determines the amount of play/tension on the spring. You'll want to duplicate the original. It's pretty easy, the nut is threaded and on the back of the old spring, you'll see that the nut is crimped in place at the back. Take the old spring out, turn the new nut to match the position of the old nut by placing them side by side, then clamp the back of the nut in a vise and tighten it down to crimp it in place so that it doesn't vibrate out of position while shooting.

Good luck,
    Chip

3. skeezix

skeezix Member

Could be several things - the easiest and most common I've seen is a stuck cocking rod plunger. It could be crud or debris inhibiting the firing pin, or it could be a bad hammer spring. Cock the gun, take off the bbls, and push in the cocking rods. They should be lightly spring loaded - about like a ball point pin. If either is loose or sticky - then the cocking rod plungers are stuck. If it's a stuck or fouled plunger you'll get intermittent light strikes, which is what you are describing. If the plunger is stuck or sticky it won't keep the cocking rod levers out of the way of the hammers and you get a light strike if the lever interferes with the hammer. It won't always interfere- but it can.

Coles is the best place to send it.

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Even in clean and well maintained 682's, I've seen the firing pin rebound springs get a crusty build-up on them, which cleans off easily with light steel wool and oil. They are a little difficult to get out, so new ones are a worthwhile investment.

Rich Cole has the parts and know-how, but any good smith can fix you up. Regards, GAP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 firing pins

beretta 686 problems

beretta 686 silver pigeon 1 problems

beretta silver pigeon 1 problems

beretta silver pigeon firing pin problems

beretta silver pigeon problems
can not fire my beretta 686
how do you not cock the hammers on beretta silver pigeon