1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 686 firing pin?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HUNTIN-NUT, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HUNTIN-NUT

HUNTIN-NUT TS Member

I acquired a 686 Silver Pigeon II top single. The gun was originally purchased as a backup gun by a family member who has passed on which is how I now end up with it. I would like to add O/U trap barrels to make it a combo and am wondering what the liklihood would be to not require allot of fitting if I bought slighlty used barrels to same money and lastly it appears (without taking it apart) that there is no lower firing pin. Would this be possible since it was ordered new as a top single and not a combo. Safety/selector has a "lock" on it so that part is capable of selecting barrels by removing the tiny screw locking it in place at present. Being relatively new to the trap game and comp guns- I sure am open to advice on this so I don't overlook anything and get into something I would regret.

Tom

2. JJM

JJM Member

Remove lock screw in safety, slid saftey to lower barrel and pull the trigger.
    You will quickly find out if there is a firing pin and hammer for the lower barrel. Place a piece of wood over the lower firing pin hole, it should make a mark in the wood. Most Beretta's came set up with the ability to fire upper and lower barrels.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You can also remove the butt stock and look at the lockwork to see just what you have. You can get a good idea of how these guns go together from the schematic on Cole's web site.

More than likely a new set of barrels would need to be fit to the locking lug you have. This probably isn't something you want to tackle on your own but it isn't too spendy to have that work done professionally.

4. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I found a used set of barrels that fit my 686 top single fine. Everything was already in the gun for both firing pins. I just had that little screw taken out of the selector switch. You can check yours by cocking the gun with an empty chamber and pulling the trigger. Without recocking the gun, smack the butt pad on the ground and you will feel the gun try to fire again. Maybe yours is ready to go also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.