1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 682, won't fire 2 consecutive shots

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GoldE, Mar 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Beretta 682, won

I have a Beretta 682 Gold E. I was dry firing with snap caps, and noticed that it will not fire 2 consecutive shots. It can fire one in the bottom. I changed the selector to top barrel, and it will fire one shot in the top barrel.

I opened closed, open closed it for several time and may be once or twice it will fire 2 consecutive shots, then it goes back to firing just one. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    GoldE

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Gold E: Maybe I'm interpreting your concern wrong. But you can't dry fire both barrels consecutively. The triggers you have are most likely inertia triggers. The recoil of the 1st shot sets the gun to fire the next shot. With snap caps you have nothing to set up the 2nd shot. Try dry firing the gun and then strike the recoil pad on the floor or use your hand and hit the recoil pad to simulate recoil. I will bet the 2nd barrel will work. Now again, maybe I'm reading your question all wrong. If so, sorry. Ed

3. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hi Ed,

You read my email right. I will try your recommendation tonight.

Thanks,
    GoldE

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

esoxhunter is right on. I have the SP-2 and it has the same mechanics (so I hear) as the 682 and you need to thump it somehow to get the second trigger to set. If it starts refusing to fire a second round for real, then you are talking about the inertial spring needing replacement.

d

5. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hello D,

I have not been shooting doubles, and would like to try it in the coming weeks. Dry firing it last night, and not hearing the 2nd go of got me worried. I'll try that tap to the floor, and will try shoot both barrels in the weekend.

Thanks,
    GoldE

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

You can also switch the barrel selector to the other barrel AFTER dryfiring the first shot. This way, you can dry fire the gun for the second barrel without taking the gun down from your shoulder.

Easystreet

7. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hello Easystreet,

I did that last night. It will only fire on the 1st barrel. If you select the top barrel as 1st barrel, it will fire on the top barrel, but not fire on the bottom barrel.

Thanks,
    GoldE

8. bnemec

bnemec TS Member

I have had a 682 Super X combo for about 13 years and what you are describing is normal operation. As esoxhunter described they are inertia set. You can dry fire by moving the selector to each barrel. It takes a pretty good hit on the floor to set the second so I would just use the selector to release the hammers. Mine failed years ago during a doubles event and would not set the second trigger.Only way to know for sure is to try a pair. I have been shooting it with a precision fit stock for the past three years and have had no issues. Hope that helps.

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

In most cases, a "tap" on the stock will not reset the inertia block, you need to give it a reasonable whack on the butt pad.

I hold the barrel and stump the recoil pad on a solid floor.

10. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hello everyone,

Got home this evening and tried the thump to the floor. It did get the 2nd barrel firing. And yes a tap to the butt won't do the trick.

Thanks everyone. I'll shoot doubles in the weekend.

-GoldE

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The 682 inertia trigger can be tweaked to act like a mechanical trigger. When you send the gun to a qualified Beretta gunsmith for its "annual" maintenance or repair ask the smith to tweak the trigger.

Until then, thumping it on the floor is a good way to make sure the inertia system is working. If you use the selector, the system may be broken and you will not know it until trying to shoot doubles.

Jason

12. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the tips.

GoldE

13. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

Good user name.

Gold E (with a space)

14. larryjk

larryjk Member

GoldE, I have been shooting a Beretta 682 for a few years and had a similar problem when shooting skeet with the gun down. I apparently wasn't getting the gun into my shoulder far enough to set the trigger for the second shot. Call the gunsmiths at Briley Mfg. and ask them about their trigger job. I had it done about 8 years ago and the price was $75 plus shipping. They didn't even need the barrels. A SUPER job on the triggers. You can hold the level in front of you and pull the trigger twice and hear click,click. It even works just as reliably when I put the tubes in and shoot 2 1/2 inch .410 shells. Best $75.00 I ever spent. They are Briley MFG. @ (713) 932-6995.

15. RAScott

RAScott Member

Coles in Harpswell Maine, does great work on beretta's. Also when shooting doubles make sure that you hold the stock in tight or you could have a similar problem. I have had a fairly loos hold in the past and the 2nd doesn't go off. Damn. Bob S

16. GoldE

GoldE TS Member

Hello Bob, Larry,

I'll remember the option of having the trigger work done.

Thanks,
    Derek H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
682 gold e selector switch

beretta 682 gold e barrel selector

beretta 682 inertia spring
beretta 682e trigger selector
beretta 687 not firing second shot
beretta release trigger to fire 2nd barrels
beretta snap cap procedure barrel selector