1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 682 Shooting Loose?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wineguy, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

I was recently in a discussion with a club member that handled my 682 Gold E and upon opening the action , claimed that it was loose and needed tightening.My question is if the gun opens easily when you hit the lever does that necessarily mean its in need of repair? Its been nineteen thousand rounds since its last "annual" checkup. The gun locks up solid, lever is straight up and down,does not open or budge upon firing, and does not misfire.

Thank you

2. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

No worries mate. Just shoot it. If you want it tighter have some one tig & fit up the barrel lug where the fore arm attachs. Other wise hammer away.

3. mag410

mag410 Active Member

"The gun locks up solid, lever is straight up and down,does not open or budge upon firing, and does not misfire."

You have a long way to go yet before a rebuild is required. The top lever will be well left of center by the time the gun starts to get loose. If you want to see how far to the left the lever will go, release the lever by depressing the pin in the face of the receiver and make a pencil line down the left side of the lever. Reassemble the gun and you can see how far the lever is from the line. If you let the lever get all the way to the line, it will start to "rattle" when you close it. And the Beretta gunsmith will look at it and just shake his head. He will install a new fork and trunnions and you will be good for another 200,000 rounds.

Michael

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

No you don't have a problem. At some point in the next year or so you will need a new locking bolt but that won't make the gun 'feel tighter'.

Who wants a gun that is difficult to open and close anyway?

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I am not sure I agree

You need a real gunsmith to look at this

If the lever is dead center- then there is no telling if the hingepins are worn excessively or not- if the hinge pins are worn that excess wear can create a movement within the frame- and a big headspace problem

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

No, your gun is not "loose".

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

The guy shot Brownings, right?? As said, you have years ahead of you.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

"The guy shot Brownings, right??".........lol, that's MY suspicion also. FWIW, Browning doesn't spend much time & effort fitting the forearm iron.

John C. Saubak

9. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Amazing! That's exactly what he shoots. Browning XT.

Thanks

10. BigM-Perazzi

Lol well that tells ya something lol

11. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

as you assemble you gun put the barrel or barrels onto the receiver,,,now before you install the forearm hold the receiver firmly and try to wiggle the barrel if you get movement in the receiver area it may be getting loose, if it is you can take out the hinge pins from each side and reinstall them in the opposite side This will reverse the wear points also if the locking bolt are getting worn you can buy oversize ones from Brownells or MWG

12. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

I used to watch one of the best shooters I have ever known assemble his Browning with a cleaning patch on the hinge as to "take up the slack"! He ran many 100's with this system.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

First, it does NOT sound like your gun is 'loose,' broken in yes, but loose - no.

Second, do NOT weld the lug - Berettas are designed with oversized parts in mind - if something needs to be tightened there is a whole series of oversized parts available - incrementally so - welding should only be a last resort.

drhuner is right on - he gives god advice. As does mag410. Between what they both say you should be well covered for evaluating the tightness of your shotgun.

If you press that small pin on the breech face you will see the locking 'cones' (bolts) projecting out of the bolt face. Now look at the breech surface of the barrels and you will see how they lock up - the pins are conical and thus can migrate as needed to fill in for looseness in the bolt or receiving holes.

The hinge pins (trunnions) can be replaced with oversized ones (or reversed per drhuner) if needed.

In the old days they would use 'lamp black' (soot from a candle or oil lamp) to evaluate the lock-up on the face. HOURS were spent doing this to fit the hinges-barrels-breech face.

A CRUDE test is to cut a 3 X 5 card so it covers the breech face but clears the bolt pins and the release pin and then GENTLY try to close your gun with the card in place. It shouldn't close. This is essentially the 'wiggle' test suggested by drhuner...

You can try different thicknesses of paper - even 'mic' the paper, but the tighter the fit that paper stops (i.e., thinner paper is better), the better off the hinges are.

14. emathu11

emathu11 Member

I watched Beretta tighten a gun at the Grand. They put the barrel lug in a vise & swage the leading edge of the lug up towards the barrel. Then they file the lug to make it fit. It takes them about 20 minutes to finish the job.
    Ed M

15. BigM-Perazzi

?????? !!

16. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

emathu11 is correct. I've seen them do it that way and also take a hammer a whack the lug to deform it, then file. I still prefer to put a small tig bead on the lug and file. Any "proficient" welder can do it quickly with no excess heat to the lug area.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I wouldn't allow anyone to move metal on my gun. I think that is a terrible way to "fix" metal. Moving metal weakens it. We have all broken metal by bending it. After the first bend it gets easier to bend till it breaks. It is quick and easy but not good.

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

How easy or difficult the gun is to open and close has absolutely NOTHING to do with how tight the gun locks up. They're completely separate issues. One or two well placed file strokes will make those tight opening Brownings a WHOLE lot easier to open and close and won't change the gun's lock-up one iota.

John C. Saubak

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Some Berettas come new with the lever nearly straight/center,others more pronounced to the right.I have a gallery gun new that was always a miniscule amount right.An older fat frame 682 ,mint in all respects, with the lever near dead center.I believe Perazzi started the offset lever thing,and Beretta picked up on it later,not 100% sure though.
    A gun with many rounds enuf to get loose is going to show wear outside and inside,no way around it-you can tell.
    I think the greatest longevity is when the cone wedges have the lowest spring pressure on them,almost near the end of travel .
    You press a cone shape into a cone hole and they naturally want to wedge together,
    and wear in the process until the press force is reduced to a point which wont swage out the metal as fast as it was initially.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beretta 682 how to change breach lever from left to right hand
beretta 686 worn

beretta trunions loose

how to tighten a beretta 682
how to tighten a shotgun action

proper headspace on a beretta 686

signs that your shotgun is wearing loose

tightening shotgun action