1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 682 or Browning XT??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Inspector 12, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Considering adding a gun to the collection to use for doubles. I have been looking at a Beretta 682, but am sure leaning toward a Browning XT. I realize to some degree this will boil down to a brand preference issue, but I sure like my BT 99 and I guess I would expect similar performance from an XT Trap.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Kerry

2. BMC

BMC Member

Kerry, I was in the same position a few months back...682 or XT Trap. I ended up going for the XT because it was only going to be for doubles, so I didn't need a combo or anything like that..and..I figured it would be a lot like my BT100 that I use for caps and singles. As it turned out they aren't the same type of shooting gun, really different in weight, balance and POI. The XT is an excellent doubles gun IMO and my scores have greatly improved. But I have found it is also a great all around trap gun too, so much so that there is a good chance once I get some stock work done to the XT, that it will become my primary all around gun.

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I just traded my 682 for an XT. Now granted, my 682 was not an O/U (was a topsingle), but I have to say overall the XT handles and feels just right to me. I never had that feeling with my 682, but lots of people just love the 682 and not the XT. It's a matter of what feels and works the best for you.

I have the 30" with factory adjustable comb and Briley chokes. It's hefty but not heavy and not whippy like I thought it would be. Even with a modified choke (which is a first for me - I prefer IM/Full), the targets just get crushed! It's a beautiful sight. I am seriously considering replacing the factory comb system, it failed on me a few times during a shoot this weekend (I have been told that this could happen) -- thank heavens for washers! It's fabulous for doubles in my opinion.

Since I also have a Broadway which is now retired and resides in the safe, I guess my preference is Browning. As a side note, if you do end up with an XT, mark it in some way as there will most likely be another 3-5 in the gun rack. I found this out this weekend!

4. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Browning all the way for me because I like the way they shoot and fit. I think you should get what fits you and not what everyone on here says. good luck with your choice.

5. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Thanks to all those who have shared insight, it helps to hear of others experiences. As for "fit" I have learned that no matter what I buy it will require some adjusting as being a big fellow I shoot a longer LOP than most at 15 and 1/2 inches. I will probably end up doing a "Clyde" or "Hyde" type slide recoil system to lengthen the pull and get the comb adjustable.

Now to scope one out, any for sale in either NIB or Like New condition??

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Ford or Chevy?

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Which ones the Chevy?

8. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have 2 XTs - both 32"...bought one without the adjustable comb and my scores improved dramatically. Virtually no felt recoil, use the top barrel with a mod or impmod choke for 16s, and the bottom barrel with a full for handicap. Then, a "deal I couldn't refuse" (low price) for another virtually new XT with an aftermarket adjustable comb came along and it is now my primary gun. The XT works great for sporting clays also. You cannot go wrong with a Browning XT, but get the fixed comb and have an aftermarket adjustable installed. Berettas are good guns as well, but sometimes have trigger problems and cost a lot more to start with. Best Regards, Ed

9. JoeBerg

JoeBerg TS Member

Just make sure you get an appointment with a good stockfitter before you buy either gun.

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My son has an XT and I have a 682X combo, 34 top single, and 32 inch O/U, all with fixed chokes that I have decided to sell. Both are quality firearms and I have not had any significant problems with either. My Beretta has adjustable comb and RAD II recoil reducer. All three barrels were custom choked by Ken Eyster, a barrel guru. If you are interested in the combo, let me know.

Charlie Becknell
    xxcab4trap@windstream.netxx , just take off the xx's.

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

The Beretta is for sale, the XT is the property of my son. The Beretta also has double release tiggers.
    Charlie

12. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I guess it comes down to what appeals to the shooter. Both will do the job if pointed in the proper direction. I prefer Beretta over Browning. Same as some people prefer Ford over Chevy or the other way around. I have 2 Beretta 682's. In no way would I trade these guns for any Browning. (OK maybe a Belgium Diana or Midas)!! Ed

13. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I actually have a 682 "Sporting" with 30 inch barrels that I bought recently, but to be honest, I am not in love with it yet.. It just doesn't shoot like my BT.

I have had an offer to let me shoot an XT this weekend, and after that will make my decision whether to sell the 682 and buy an XT or keep what I have and try to get used to shooting it.

Thanks to all who have offerred advice, shooting shotguns is a fairly new game to me, so I am thankful for those willing to share their experiences.

Kerry

14. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Kerry: A 682 "sporting" is not a trap gun and should not be compared to one. If the XT that you will be shooting this weekend is a "sporting model"; then that would be a fair comparison. However, if the XT is a trap model then one must compare it to a 682 trap model. You can't compare 'apples and oranges". Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 682 vs browning xt

beretta 682 xt trap

browning xt o beretta

browning xt or beretta

browning xt trap vs beretta

browning xt vs beretta 682

most wins beretta 682 or browning xt