1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 682 Gold

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 9manfan, Aug 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I just started shooting trap this summer for the first time ever and really enjoy it, I purchased a used bertte 682 gold and have been shooting it for about a month now, really like the gun,I am shooting the bottom barrel and last nite as I was pulling to shoot the gun would not fire,I opened the gun up and put another shell in and it was the same thing, wouldn't fire, both shells didn't have the primer dented, tried it again and the third time it fired, it worked the rest of the nite fine, any ideas what would have caused this, thanks Tom

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Broken firing pin, check it? Primers set to far into the shell base?

3. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Did you open it far enough to cock it each time? Just a thought, cause i have done the same thing!! Tim

4. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I fixed one for a friend recently that was doing the same thing. He only shoots the inexpensive shells with the zinc-plated hulls. Estate, Top Gun, Gun Clubs etc.

The firing pins and their recesses were dry as a bone and there were many tiny pieces off flaked off zinc built up in the pin and recesses.

Solution, remove the stock and disassemble the receiver and clean, something that I do as matter of course when I buy an used gun.

I have a 25 year old 682 that has been shot a lot (200k+). It has never been completely disassembled, but at least once a year, or whenever I get rained on, I take the stock off and hose down, with Rem-oil and blow off with compressed air.

If there is any evidence that zinc-plated shells have been shot in the gun, complete disassembley would be my recommendation as I don't think you can get all the junk out of the firing pin recesses any other way.

As a side note. apparently the 682 Gold E receivers are plated. I could see that the plating was worn off in an oval pattern around both firing pin holes.

Michael Goines

5. 9manfan

9manfan Well-Known Member

I'm wondering also if that's what happened, never opened the gun far enough to cock the action again, because it shot fine the rest of the nite,I was shooting the top barrel until last nite and switched to the bottom barrel,and when I open it I try not to open fully to try and catch the empty, thanks for the reply's...

6. Franktri

Franktri Member

My 682 Gold started the same way and eventually stopped working altogether. Assuming you opened it fully and it still doesn't work, it probably is the springs. Just had mine fixed that way..

7. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

It is not the easiest thing to do; remove the firing pin and throughly clean them and the opening they protrude through. If the return spring seems week or damage replace them.

You must remove the hammers to allow the firing pins to be removed. If you do not feel confident in doing this, Have a gun smith look at it.

I might suggest that for a gun this old, perhaps, you may consider having it rebuilt. I can Recommend Cole's (207-833-5027) in Main, they are VERY readable. Give them a call and discuss the problem.

I have been shooting a Beretta 682 since 1982, very reliable trap gun. I had it to Cole's for some minor work. Also, Allem's installed a roller release in 08. Allem's is also of VERY good gun dealer and gun repair shop. (Allems web site is liste above).

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why dose my beretta 682gold e not open fully