1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 682..686...687..?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gjmen, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gjmen

gjmen Member

What is the real differences between all of these Berettas? Is there any mechanical differences? Are some more dependable than others? Whats the scoop? Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks, gjmen

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The right direction depends on where you want to go.

If it is to the trap range then the 682 will serve you best.

If it is to the field then a 686 would be a great choice.

If you want a bit of elegance then there is the 687.

All of these models can be had in configurations specific to your game of choice.

All of them are very similar actions and most parts interchange.

3. len loma

len loma TS Member

I shoot a 682X for trap and a 686 for sporting clays and hunting. Great dependable guns.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Mechanically they are all about the same and for the most part the parts will interchange with each other.

686 is a an introductary model. Quality is great, but more basic in its delivery. Wood for the most part is neutral cast and real plainly figured.

682 is the middle of the road model. Nicer wood than the 686 and generally a little more elegant. This is also available in LH and RH wood.

687 is the pretty model it is two different deliveries. The standard wood is real easy on the eyes and both receivers get some nice engraving. I really like the sideplate versions of this model.

ss

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

The 68X's are a series of firearms - one following the other sequentially. Thus the 686 came before the 687.

The exception to this is the 682 Gold E - which is only a few years old. It is a true 682 action but it has been 'up-graded' for the US market. It is based on the original 682 frame.

As has been stated, most parts interchange.

While the suggestion that the 'higher' the number the better the gun, it is more a function of the time period and what the market expects/will bear. Each model was available in at least a few variations. Certainly the market has changed over time (you might also see variations in the barrels based on who provided the steel at a given time - I've seen Berretas with Krupp steel barrels).

Wood on Berettas is much more a function of weight that of grade. They deal with so high a volume they must separate by what goes to which type of gun (e.g., the ultralights get the lightest wood). Grade is second to this. That is why sometimes a low end gun comes with fantastic wood, and why sometimes high end guns come with rather drab wood - just depends on what is in the pipeline at the time.

6. txkpistol

txkpistol TS Member

The 682 has an adjustable trigger that helps with the LOP some and if you have a large or small hand size. 686 and 687 does not.

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

682's have plain sides on the receiver.

686's have scroll engraving.

687's have a game seen engraving.

all parts will enterchange, barrels, triggers, hammers, stocks.

the higher grade 687's have side plates.

tony

8. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

The 682's have replaceble shoulders on the barrels. Since theses never wear out, so it isn't really an issue. For sone reason I think they weigh a couple of ounces more but I was wrong once..

9. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

I spell poorly. Big fat fingers......little keyboard.

10. Fireball

Fireball Member

You can get the 682 adjustable trigger for the 687 if you want. I went from a 3200 to the 687 and raised my scores considerably.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

They're all good guns but the model that Beretta considers their main target shotgun is the 682, which was released in 2000 in its current "Gold E" persuasion. The "E" was explained to me back then as standing for "evolution," thus the receiver's elliptical engraving pattern resembling rings around a planet.

The 687 trap combos that many of us shoot are made to order for Joel Etchen Guns in Ligonier, Pennsylvania and are in the Silver Pigeon II grade, two levels up from standard. The 682 also has Beretta's better Optima barrels, which are overbored and have longer forcing cones and chokes. Joel specifies those barrels for his guns, so they are a hybrid of sorts.

Ed

12. gjmen

gjmen Member

Thanks, that clears alot up. I am looking for a doubles gun and wasnt sure what all the different models had what. Thanks again. gjmen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 686 and 687

berretta 682 and 687 reciever dimensions difference

berretta 687

berretta 687 682

compare beretta 682 gold to 686 to 687

difference between 686 and 687