1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 680 series O/U help needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dzeh, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzeh

dzeh Member

First of all thanks to all that gave me help on removing the stock on my 687 SPIII. I went to Sears and bought a 6mm hex head (allen) socket and used it to remove the stock bolt. I had a little surprise when I took the receiver off the stock. A little piece of threaded metal dropped out. It was a little distorted but I identified it as a hammer spring guide nut (part# 062) using the schematics on Colegun.com. There was no nut on the other side of the action which I thought was very strange. I bought the gun new and no one has had the stock off of it. How critical is this for the gun to function? The gun has always worked flawlessly for the two years I've had it. I have no idea how long that nut has been floating around in there and I don't see how the other one could have just disappeared. It looks like I'll need to order replacements. These little buggers are $5.35 a piece! Any help would be appreciated.

2. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

My thoughts are if you have shot it for 2 years, you should send it to Cole for its "annual service". Send in the threaded piece in an envelope along with the gun and a note stating that it dropped out when you removed the stock. The smiths at Cole will check everything out and replace anything that is worn out.

Jason

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

That little nut is for adjusting the hammers for the proper rebound after hitting the firing pins.

Without the nuts, you may have a problem with the firing pins dragging on the primers.

If you do not send your gun away for repairs, I suggest you replace the whole mainspring assy on both sides. I think Beretta only sells them this way...Cole's may sell the nuts and guides.

If or when you do get the assy's, PM me or email me, and I'll explain how to time in the hammers. Once their timed, the nut then gets crimped to keep it from turning.

Doug

4. dzeh

dzeh Member

OKay, sent the action to Cole's and got it back yesterday. They adjusted the action and crimped on the two new nuts. I looked at the nuts and they looked as if they could still be spun off. I put my finger on them and they could easily be twisted off if I wanted to do that. The "crimp" didn't do anything to make sure they were secure. Would a drop of loctite or something similar hurt? I'm afraid that if I put it back on the stock the same thing will happen like the first set of nuts. I'd think that just normal useage would cause the nuts to loosen up and come off. Anybody have a suggestion? Thanks!

5. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Isn't it amazing what you can get from this forum? Speaking of expertise and lending a helping hand. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.