1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 471 Silverhawk

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Old Cowboy, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thinking about buying a Beretta 471 silverhawk sxs shotgun. Anybody here have one? I'm guessing being a field gun they'd shoot pretty flat? Beretta's have had some barrel regulation issues with some of it's O/Us, how 'bout the 471 sxs?...if you have one, are the barrels well regulated? ANY comments or opinions of this gun welcome.

John C. Saubak

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

John, I do not have one but the guys at one of the clubs I shoot at mostly a sxs shooters club do not have anything good to say about them. I was looking at one and passed on their advice. I do own other Beretta o/u that I like alot. Bill

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

A quick call to Cole gunsmithing will provide you the best answer.. If I remember correctly.. he told me he perfered the 620 series SxS to the 470 series.. I was not into the finepoints of shotguns at that time.. and took him at his word.. The 624/625 I bought from him have been flawless..

4. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

I bought the first 20 guage into the country in 1999. It was a display gun at the ATA's 100th anniversary at Vandalia, Ohio that Beretta brought over to show along with a 12 guage model. I pulled some strings and was able to have the gun brought back to SoCal by a dealer ( Wendell Schroll, nicknamed "swindel" )now deceased.

This gun was so beautiful, I thought this was going to be a lifetime bird gun for me. Wrong, wrong and wrong again. The triggers were like teater totters, way too high for me or it would double, I had an excellent gunsmith tell me he just couldn't do anything with them as the design was faulty. NEXT was the recoil, did I mention RECOIL !! It kicked worse than a milk cow, and was a 20 guage.

This was my experience and getting rid of this "piece" was very satisfying. Buyer beware !!!

Tom Strunk

5. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

I had one from new for a year or so. It was a combination of good and bad. It shot high, which was good for my driven shooting; it was so easy shooting overhead birds. The stock didn't kiss my cheek at all even when using heavy loads. At first the triggers were good being a sensible weight but crisp. I made some stellar shots with it.

The bad: The barrels were cross-eyed. Although both shot high just right, the patterns were about 2-3 feet apart at 40 yards. That was just too much to have any confidence in it. Also, after about 2000 shells one of the triggers started to get a bit gritty.

My advice would be to look for a second hand one you can check the barrels before buying. Stock fit is of course a personal preference.

I also shot a round of skeet with a 20g variant and went 25ex26. Whether 12g or 20g, for me, they seem user friendly. I just need to find a good one . . . .

Andrew.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Thanks for the replies so far, .... ^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.