1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ILClaysshooter01, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

Has any one had problems with their 391 12 ga ejecting light target loads. I have cleaned the gun however once is a while a shell does not eject. The gun is about 4 years old.

2. open choke

open choke TS Member

How light are you talking about?

You may have to pep them up a bit. Cause the gun may barely be coming back from the recoil to spit it out.

Example 7/8 oz with a ____ grains of _____ powder may be too light. So with those recipes you are nowhere to exceeding the maximum. Kick up a half grain at a time until they cycle and eject. Make like 10 of each load and shoot like 3 singles, load 2 shoot the 2 like a skeet double target and then load 3 and shoot them fast if you can pass those tests. You should be good.

I do the loading sequence part when I wanna try a new hull to make sure they will cycle.

3. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

They are factory loads 1 1/8 oz 2 3/4 drams 1180 ft per sec. Light loads.

4. open choke

open choke TS Member

That's not light. These should be fine.

Are those STS or NITRO's Remington? Cause 1180 isnt that light.

Standard gun club target loads are 2 3/4 dram 1145 fps and they cycle using the same amount of shot which means these have more powder in them for your 1180 ones.

I have read several times that those "light handicap" loads for example are a gimmick cause if they pushing 1200fps that's 3 dram eq.

I reload myself and use factory loads too I tried Rio, gun clubs, and federal top gun all 3 eject and cycle no problem

I know this was slightly off topic in regards to the recipes

5. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Clean the gas ports? Assemble the gas valve correctly? I've only had this happen to my Teknys once and it was operator error during assembly after cleaning..Your shells should eject 6-10 feet from the gun, anything less you have a problem..Try the above link..good luck

6. boba7449

boba7449 Member

is the problem ejecting or loading of second shell? thus being the flat carrier versus bent carrier. otherwise take a numbered drill bit and slightly enlarge gas ports in barrel......

7. schwabby

schwabby Member

You shouldn't need to drill the ports out, just scrape them out with progressively larger numbered drills by hand, until you get to a size that won't fit, even with a little effort. I don't know about a 391 but in a 300 a #26 will usually go and a #25 is a no go.

8. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

Thanks for the response, sorry for the miss spelling of Beretta.

9. ILClaysshooter01

ILClaysshooter01 Member

Thanks. I took a look again and the shells are rates at 1145. I will try cleaning out the gas ports again. I have used a 1/8 drill bit in the past. Would it help to go with a little larger bit?

10. schwabby

schwabby Member

Correction: I meant 303, not 300, in earlier post.
    IL,I would first determine if it is a failure to eject problem or a failure to feed problem. If the bolt is trapping the empty shell in the ejection port, you got a gas mechanism issue. If the empty is clearing but the next round isn't feeding you probably have a bad lifter. 1/8 ports should run 7/8 oz 1200 fps shells, shouldn't need to go bigger than that.

11. build4u

build4u Member

You want to be careful with drill bits in the gas ports, you do not want to break one off in your port. Go easy with out removing metal. You should not need to enlarge the gas ports in a 391 in 12 ga. Mine will cycle low recoil rounds. You should pull of the stock and the end cap of the recoil spring tube will come off. Clean the spring and run some patches through the spring tube. They can gunk up and the factory grease is heavy. Run synthetic oil and light grease it will not get heavy bodied in the cool weather slowing down the cycling.

12. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Order a gas valve spring kit from Cole Guns In Me.,

Phil Berkowitz

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Do not use a drill bit larger than 1/8th. You don't need the the spring kit from Coles. Your gun should eject the shells you're using and you need to find the cause.

Make sure your extractor isn't broken, and check the ejector as well.
    The ejector is a little spring loaded piece in the inside of the receiver in the side of the chamber away from the port. It could be broken or missing.

14. Lawman214

Lawman214 TS Member

Wow...lots of advice here. Who to go with? First off, unless you know what you are doing, I suggest a visit to a competent smith. You are infinitely better off having the problem properly diagnosed and repairing /replacing only what is required. Your 391 should cycle those factory loads easily. There are many variables that can lead to ejection/extraction/cycling problems...extractor, ejector, recoil spring, gas valve, shell lifter...you get the idea. Let someone knowledgeable lay eyes on your gun, and my guess is the problem will be readily apparent. Better, and cheaper, to fix it right the first
    time. BTW...don't attempt to enlarge the gas ports.

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Call Cole Gunsmithng (207/333-5027) it's the smartest move you can make.

Surfer

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You should go to the website: Shotgunworld.com, forum "I love my Beretta."
    There is a wealth of information written by a shooter with the pen name
    of Seamus O'Caisides. He also has published a manual that every Beretta 391 owner should have.

It may be some ridiculously simple thing to correct your problem. You shouldn't have to spent $100 or more for a gunsmith. There is hardly anything on a 391 you can't fix yourself.

17. Dean Scott

Dean Scott Member

Replace the recoil spring in the stock problem solved,you can also take it out
    and stretch it and try it . The gun should cycle 7/8 loads no problem.cycle problem solved put a new spring in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

391 ejection problem

beretta 391 doesnt eject shells

beretta 391 not ejecting light target loads

beretta 391 not shooting target loads

beretta 391 wont cycle light loads

can the beretta 391 be adjusted for lighter loads