1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

beretta 391 urika vs rem 1100 skeet or sport

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cindyr64, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cindyr64

cindyr64 TS Member

My soon to be 14 yr old son (in 2 days) shoots a Remington 1187 Youth model in 4H Modified Trap. He shoots well on the 1187 (22 - 25)but he will be shooting in the senior division next year (9th - 12th graders) and we want to get him a 12 gauge. I have looked at the Remington website & am really interested in the 1100 Tournament Skeet & the 1100 Sporting 12. I called and got prices & the average for both was about $850. One of the places I called is a reputable gun dealer who has a firing range & he told me that he had a used Beretta 391 Urika for sale for $975 & claims it would be a much better buy than the new Remington. He buys some each year for rentals on his range & this in one of those. My husband & I are torn. We think that he shoots so well on the Remington and knows the gun so well that we should stick with the Remington. I don't know alot about Beretta's but I know it is a more expensive gun, looks better than the Remington and a lot of trap shooters use them.
    Any advise or wisdom you have that can help us with this decision.
    We have been invited to come & shoot the Beretta, but I'm afraid that if he shoots good with it 1 time, my husband & son will be gung ho on getting it because and we can't give the Remington the same chance. I also know that there is a boy on our team who has a Beretta 391 Urika & he doesn't shoot real well with it, he shoots better with another gun. (I just realized that's what he shot yesterday at state competition)

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

I have owned and shot both and the Remington 1100 would be my clear choice for the very sound and important reasons you mentioned - especially knowing the gun well and the value for the dollars spent. I found the Berettas a pain to disassemble, clean, and reassemble - and, despite what some will say, actually "kick" harder because of their light weight. You see lots of Berettas for sale used...there must be a reason. Stand back, you will get a number of comments here from Beretta fans, but I respectfully disagree based on my first-hand experiences. The cost factor is the very first "turn-off" for me. Best Regards, Ed

3. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

I am going to agree with Ed also. I have shot 1100's for years and like the fact that they recoil less than the Beretta, can be readily broken down to be cleaned, and parts can be found at any shop. I have shot and own a Beretta 303 Trap, a 390, and a 391, and keep going back to the 1100 because that is what I have shot well for over 40 years. With that said, my oldest son shoots the old 303 better than anything I have and prefers it over the newer models. I would say to shoot 100 targets with the Beretta and evaluate how well he did. Then make a decision

4. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

I've shot them both and haven't looked back since I moved to the 391 from the Remington. The 391 stock can be adjusted with the shims. In my experience the 391 functions much more reliably when dirty. Weights are available for the 391 to set it up at whatever weight level and balance a shooter prefers. The 391 functions reliably with a very wide range of loads, including the 3/4 ounce loads I'm currently using. Keep the inside of a 391 wet with Breakfree CLP and cleaning is about as simple as wiping it off and giving it a new coat. I finally cleaned mine the other night after at least 3000 rounds. Regardless of what a bunch of grumpy old men say here about either gun, the best way to solve the problem is to let your son shoot them both and see what he likes.
    Dave

5. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have used my remington since 1973 and I guess that explains my loyalty to them.

6. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Just purchased an 1100 for our Grand Daughter. It's being resized for her and has a 26" and a 28" barrel with all the main choke tubes she will need she shoots Trap as well as Skeet and she loves the 1100 becuse of the fore mentioned reasons such as dissasembly, cleaning and the report of it does not bother her at all. She also fired a Beretta 391 with basicly the same set up on it and she found it hit her harder that the 1100 and said the 1100 was the one for her. She should get this gun here in the next couple weeks and she can't wait to shoot it. She test fired an adaptable 1100 at the gun shop. This is one that has adjustable everything to get it to where it fits you. Then they take a brand new in the box or (NIB) and fit it to the demintions on the adjustable one. Rich.(inPeoria,Az.) P.S. Go with the 1100. He won't regret it. Remington 870 and 1100 are like Chevrolets, Apple pies, Timex watches!! There every where!! And parts are redily available.

7. cindyr64

cindyr64 TS Member

Skip,
    The reason I am looking at the Skeet & Sporting is because what we shoot in 4H is considered Modified Trap but it really doesn't fit in any catagory. I had posted a question a few weeks ago on this & another forum when we were deciding whether or not to go to a 20 gauge. I stated he was shooting skeet and got lots of advice but someone question what he was really shooting & 4H cause it Modified Trap so I rephrased my question. Then this weekend at the state competition where everyone who qualified came to shoot, many of the team shirts read "so & so county skeet team" I am confused.

Here is the link that tells you what they are actually doing. Look at the section marked Competition Guidelines. If anyone has time to look at it, please do. I am curious as to what you think would be the best chokes & guns. I know a lot of kids use skeet chokes. We use the improved & improved modified. The different terminology used by 4H is what is confusing me.

http://www.georgia4h.org/public/more/guidebook/Shotgun.html

This is a seasonal event, only lasting from March until May. During the off season we would like for him to compete in monthly 100 bird Sporting Clay competition. http://www.advancedbullets.com/sportingclays.htm

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'd agree with piranha2, that seems a bit pricey unless it's a Urika gold which is in the realm. Otherwise, take what you shoot best, it's really a tossup...

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

That is a far to high price for a USED 391. Around my area a NEW 391 can be had for just a few dollars more. This guy is just trying to sell you something he already has and most likely bought cheap from Beretta since it was for his own range as rental guns.

If your son currently shoots a Remington and shoots it well why not just stick with Remington. Dont forget also to look at the long term use of the gun as well. If you think your son will be shooting for a long long time than consider the differences between the 1100 trap vs. the other models in reference to the stock dimensions. There aint much but in the long run it might be better to get one model over the other because of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

remington 1100 vs beretta a391 urika