1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 Tkneys Gold Target Shooting Flat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Charkat1, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

I have a friend who just bought a new Beretta 391 Tkneys Gold Target 12 ga. at Beretta Gallery in NY. They fit it to her in the store. They cut the stock as much as they could without hitting the adjustable comb. She says the gun shoots flat. She has raised the comb as high as it will go and it still shoots flat. We've had the discussion of winter clothing weight, etc. affecting length of pull. Has anyone encountered this problem with the gun and if so, how did you correct it?

Thanks for your help. You guys always come through for me.

Charlene

2. shark1

shark1 Member

Charlene, I shot the gun It is not as bad as the shooter makes it out to be. It actually, is very good. The gun on the pattern board was about 70/30. I did it my self. She has to spend time with this gun, it has more adjustments then you can shake a stick at. IMHO It is the Indian not the arrow. Michael Sharkey, DC

3. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Mike, I just talked to Sue, who can't get online now. She said she has been told to bring the bead to the bird. That isn't behaving like 70/30. Could the patterning differ if she shot it on the pattern board? She mentioned that her clavicle was bruised after Sunday's round of trap. She said she learned the gun hold wasn't right but when she tried to correct it and use both eyes, she hit nothing. So her dilema is should she continue to try using the correct form and hit poorly or use the poor form and break clay? I know what I would do, but her mileage may vary.

Charlene

4. shark1

shark1 Member

Charlene, She has only fired approx 300-500 rounds total in trap or 200 with this gun. She won't wear a vest, or jacket, has not practiced mounting the gun, always has different layers of clothing on (thickness)because it's winter. The gun has a different poi every time she pulls the trigger. Every day is a new day and learning day, and any shooter on this site will tell you it takes time for a new shooter to figure their gun out. There is nothing wrong with it, for it is just part of the sport. You can not rush trap shooting, you can only enjoy it. I told her just practice and the stock should be right she had professionals fit and measure her. Michael Sharkey, DC

5. Charkat1

Charkat1 Member

Mike: Thanks for your input.

Charlene

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What point of impact did her previous gun shoot? I shoot a 100% high point of impact. The factory 391 hardware would not go high enough for that POI, so my son is building new wood for it. Few of us shoot a 100% POI, but I know of atleast 4 other trapshooters that had the same issue.

If it needs to go higher, Tron makes replacement hardware that will get it there. As mentioned earlier, shoot it enough to know the gun is shooting too flat.

7. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Sounds like she is getting the right kind of help. 70/30 is what most good instructors recommend for newer shooters. There is NO WAY a new shooter should ever have a gun shoot 100% high.... that's just my 2 cents however.

8. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Just from watching Leo Harrison III's video he shoots a POI of around 70/30, as do I. Setterman shoots 100% high. I think a new shooter would be better off with a 60/40 to 70/30 POI. Possibly go higher, if need be, after some experience is obtained.

It sounds like she is trying to measure the beads distance to the clay target. She should just try to lock on to the target and shoot it, do not try to measure the distance from the bead to the target. By trial and error she will figure it out. An example I like to use is "you can't hit the nail when you are looking at the hammer"

Also, by reading Phil Kiner's articles he believes that most women would be better off by taping off the glasses on their "off" eye meaning the eye that is not looking over the barrel.

I also think she would be way ahead to take a clinic from Nora Ross, I'm sure Nora would be able to shorten her learning curve. Nora is a one eyed shooter and a zillion time All-American.

Tom Strunk

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lots of times when you watch a learning shooter you will see them move to the target and then "decide to shoot"

You can see this- and there is a very slow reaction - at which time the bird continues to move and the shooter stops moving with the target

A couple of thoughts as I read this and reading the comments by someone that knows her.

1. Is the stock short enough or what? If it isnt- a 1/2 inch pad rather than an inch?

2. She needs to shoot one once loads- either factory or reloads

3. Why is the comb "comb all the way up" - and is it a parellel comb stock or not? If not - try to make is as close as possible to in line with the bore

4. Try lowering the comb- a raised comb and distance between the beads is very hard for a new shooter- too many variables- and no visual connection with the target-- and the relationship is hard to maintain

5. Anatomically she might need an adjustable buttpad if her clavical is hurting but first things first- try to get her in contact with the target

6. Last- in answer to the question- you can either have the barrel bent or buy eccentric choke tubes from Briley- but I dont think that is her problem--

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I doubt the gun is shooting flat. Why would you fit a gun with all your winter clothing on in the first place. You are going to shoot 80% or more of your targets in warmer weather. Forget the middle bead it is only a reference point if you have mounted the gun right.

I think Gene hit it when he said she is stopping the gun. If you swing to the bird, stop and then shoot you will need a gun that shoots 200% high. Stop and think if you take the bead to the bird and stop the bird is still rising. Sounds like she could use some swing lessons. If you have a skeet range take her there for a couple of rounds - it teaches swinging and follow through better than anything else I can think of. Just shoot posts 2 3 4 5 6.

It's not the gun.

Don

11. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

simple just bend the barrel until it shoots high enough for her. but find someone who has bent barrels before . geo 3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.