1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 problems?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I have a 391 Teknys that will not cycle the next shell in doubles.Has anyone else experienced this and Please tell me what did you do to fix it??It is supposed to be able to cycle a 1 oz load.My Remington 1100 will but the 391 won't!!

2. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Is the shell not coming out of the magazine or is it hanging the breach open, IE trying to close but he the leading edge of the shell catches.

3. poacherjoe

The first shell hangs up!!!

4. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I gotta ask, how any rounds through it since cleaned?

5. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

If its one that has been shot 500+ times,may be time to clean.If its new,you may need to shoot a flat of heavy loads through it to break it in for light loads.I had that problem.

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Do you have a straight or curved carrier? If it is a straight carrier, is the second shell getting hung up on the right side of the chamber when the carrier lifts it? If so, it will need a new carrier from a 390.

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I thought they had an adjustment up on the gas piston for light or heavy loads.

Don

8. Tron

No Donald, the gas system isn't adjustable as some believe. Some think that you can loosen or torque the gas valve spring nuts to adjust tension....that is not what they are designed to do. You can however install heavier or lighter valve springs to allow more or less gas to be vented and fine tune the gas system for your particular load.

9. poacherjoe

OK, I took it out and test fired it with some 1-1/4 oz high base loads,It ejected the first shell but the second shell was about 1/2" from fully chambering ! I then shot 2 more of these rounds and it functioned properly.

Then I shot 2 one ounce loads with 18 grs of 700X and it functioned properly!I just want it to do so EVERY time!!

The gun is clean and Tron I don't know what you mean about the carrier?

10. Tron

OK, if you look at the bottom of your receiver, you will see the carrier. It's part of the trigger assembly. It's usually crome (some field guns are black in color). There are 2 types: Curved or straight. The straight carriers are the type that tend to warp, causing the 2nd shell to misfeed. The curved type is found on the AL-1 through the 390 series and on some of the early 391's.

Here is a picture of both types, the straight carrier is on the top:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2684.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

There are a ton of Sporting Clays shooters in my area and as you may know, the 391 is the most popular gun at this time for that game. The straight carrier problem has become such an issue that I developed my own bending jib that puts the curve in the carrier. The one on top is a factory unit and the bottom one is one that I've bent:

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Tronspace/?action=view¤t=100_2783.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

11. poacherjoe

OK I have the straight one.So I need to get the other one in order to make the gun reliable for 1 ounce loads?Where would be the best place to purchase it or can I bend it myself?

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You can buy them from Coles Gunsmithing. It's called the "390 bent carrier" and it's $48. You can use springs and lever from your old carrier on the new one, but it's a good idea to ask Coles to assemble the carrier with new parts because it's a bear to take off and re-install the old parts.
    You can also order a spring set, and use the stronger spring which will allow the one ounce loads to function better.

13. Tron

If you're going to be using 1oz loads, I may also want to consider a heavier gas valve spring ("red" spring from Coles) that doesn't allow as much gas to be vented off. You can try bending the carrier yourself, but you probably will screw it up. It's one of those things that takes a lot of practice to get just right and it does have to be just right. You can either buy a brand new 390 carrier assembly WITH lever or without...but if you get one without (it is quite a bit cheaper), you will need to remove the lever rivit and that requires a special press tool (I made one of those also..not very difficult). Email me if you want me to walk you through it.

14. willing

willing Member

Why not send it to Tron and let him do it right?

Bill

15. ralanger

ralanger Member

I'd try a new 390 carrier, it is a very common problem for 391's, one that Beretta should have caught and fixed long ago. That being said I shot my teknys gold sporting last Sunday in 30 deg. temps with 3/4 oz 1250fps with no problems, and in my experiences they will cycle lighter loads that any other semi i have seen. Hope you get it figured out, good luck.

16. CNR

CNR TS Member

On mine the second shell hangs up on the right side of the chamber just before it can go into the barrel.
    So what was it again that is wrong?

17. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

I know it's no help but I just can't control myself. To fix the same problem with my 391, I bought a Perazzi. Never had a jam up during doubles after that.

18. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

...Everyone who has had to wait on the line while a proud perazzi owner had to run back to their vehicle and put in a spare trigger or some such repair after their beloved gun flew apart please raise their hand...I have.

19. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

AL 391 Urika Trap Optima, Urika 2 Sporting Optima have had no cycling issues. I guess I'm lucky. I give my Urika 2 Sporting a workout pretty regularly with Skeet and Sporting Clays. Shot 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. loads from day 1. No heavy loads were needed for break in. The trap version is pretty much a back up gun but it doesn't collect dust. I like to shoot it. Must be a hit or miss thing.

20. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

when return spring wears out, the timing changes. Mine was only used for heavy pigeon loads, very reliable until it quit working, easy fix.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

391 urika cycling issue

beretta 391 carrier problems

beretta 391 carrier troubleshooting

beretta 391 cycling problems

beretta 391 problems

beretta 391 shell lifter problem

beretta al391 problems

beretta urika 391 trigger group problems