1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Beretta 391 Magazine Cutoff Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

never heard of it!!--call cole gunsmithing in harpswell ma.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It was quite a problem on the early 391's. I believe Tron had a suggestion on putting in a stronger detent spring to cure it.

3. larrystrollo

larrystrollo Member

Head over to the Beretta forum on ShotgunWorld. There's a guy there who logs in as Seamus O'Caiside, and he knows a boatload about 391's. He wrote a book on their disassembly and maintenance, and I think he my have covered this topic.

Larry

4. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I too have seen a few of the 391's do this. You say it does not lock up every time so i am wondering how you know it is doing it. The best solution is to make sure ther is nothing behind the lever and if nothing is there the spring can be replaced with a stiffer spring and eliminate the problem. Not sure why the 391's have this tendency but not heard of the 390's doing it.Make sure you are not hitting the latch while loading the gun. I shoot with a guy who hits the latch some while loading two shells for sporting clays. He was the problem and not the spring on his.

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I am justb wondering if there is any chance you are pressing the latch to lock when you are loading the gun. I have seen that happen with some guys.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

thanks setter.

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Hi guys. My Internet server is out and I'm at an area where I can reply. Anyway, I've seen this quite a bit, but usually on older guns with a lot of rounds through them. USUALLY, simply replacing the detent spring will fix them, but other times, if it's let go too long a groove can wear into the recessed area where the detent is supposed to seat. In this case, what I have done to fix this successfully is to take a dremel cutting wheel and wear it down on a metal file so that it's approx. 3/8" in diameter. Now, it will fit in the area where the cut off lever detent seats. You them very very CAREFULLY regrind the groove where the detent seats and your problem is solved.

I know that I have pictures of this process somewhere and when I resolve my current computer issues, I will try and post them.

Jb

8. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

Sounds like allot of work...Wow!!! I have Never had any problems like that with my Browning Gold...My suggestion...Trade that spaghetti gun in for a real autoloader....I know Tron is a master at fixing Beretta's because they are always breaking....If you shoot one you practically have to become a machinist just to keep them operational....

LOL!!

9. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

And the forum Jackass arrives right on cue...........

10. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Yeah like a Browning auto will even last long enough to need repair. Never see Browning autos anywhere in competition for a reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 mag cut off